Saturday 1 January 2022

A classic, Victorian, street-corner local - the Garland at Redhill

I’m still not in the mood for completing my review of 2021, so this piece, about the cracking little boozer, I made a brief visit to yesterday will have to do instead. It demonstrates all that is good about traditional pubs, and encapsulates the joy of that spontaneous, “spur of the moment” visit.

The renowned Sussex brewers, Harvey & Sons of Lewes, have 45 tied houses, spread across Southeast England, with the majority concentrated in East Sussex. The company operate three pubs in London, and slightly more in Kent, but as far as I am aware, there is only one tied Harvey’s pub in Surrey.

That pub is the Garland, in the rather work-a-day town of Redhill, just under nine miles distance from Gatwick Airport. I had known of the Garland’s existence for several years, but somehow never managed to visit it, so when I found myself in Redhill yesterday, with just under an hour to kill, it seemed the perfect opportunity to put that right.

I was on my way home, by train, after a morning spent hiking across the top of  Box Hill, as part of my ongoing efforts to complete North Downs Way, long-distance footpath. You can read about my walk here but having decided to leave the last two miles of that particular section for another day, I caught the train from Dorking to Redhill, from where I would be able to take another train home to Tonbridge.

Unfortunately, the trains didn’t connect very well, and as the service from Dorking pulled into Redhill station, I witnessed the one to Tonbridge, pulling away from the opposite platform. The next train to Tonbridge wasn’t due for another hour, which provided the perfect opportunity for a quick, “in-between trains” pint. The question was, with a number of pubs to go for, which one should I choose?’

As my train pulled into Redhill, I had already noticed one possible candidate, in the form of the Home Cottage, a Young’s pub, on a hill, overlooking the station. In the early days of West Kent CAMRA, it was quite common for branch members to take the train from Tonbridge to Redhill, for an evening’s drinking at the Home Cottage. On several occasions, we met up with members from the neighbouring Reigate & Redhill branch, for a joint social.

A return visit seemed long overdue, but whilst I was contemplating that, another idea was taking shape in my mind, which of course was a visit to the Garland. A quick check on What Pub and Google Maps confirmed the pub was only seven minutes’ walkway, so off I went, pleased in the knowledge that the Garland was much closer to Redhill station, than I had thought. I saw the pub as soon as I passed under the bridge, where the line from Dorking comes in, and made a beeline for this classic Victorian, street corner local.

There is always that mixed feeling of excitement and anticipation, that comes when you enter an unfamiliar pub for the first time. I felt exactly that as I climbed the steps up from the street and stepped into the pub. The bar was directly in front of me, but seat back a fair way from the entrance. To my left was a table occupied by around five to six drinkers, all male and engaging in what seemed to be some good-natured banter. There was a single male drinker, sat at the bar, plus one other solitary customer, over to the right.

I did my usual, quick visual scan of the bar, noticing the availability of Dark Mild, IPA and XXX Old Ale, all Harvey’s beers, of course, as one would expect in one of the brewery’s tied pubs. It was the Old Ale I was after, as it only seems available in Harvey’s own houses, and my desire of this classic, seasonal dark ale, that formed a major part in my decision to seek out the Garland.

I stood watching with keen anticipation, as the barman pulled my pint. It certainly looked inviting as it was place on the counter in front of me. I took hold of it and made my way to a table in the opposite corner of the pub, keen to take the weight off my feet after the exertions of the morning’s hike.  The Old was certainly true to form, and in very good condition. I supped it with the thirst of a man who felt he had really deserved that pint, but not with the speed of a person who thinks he can squeeze in another.

I didn’t want to miss the train again, so after savouring the remainder of my glass, I drank up, ready to depart. Before doing so I listened with amusement to the conversations going on at the table to my left. I got the impression that the group were motorcycle enthusiasts, as bikes seemed to be the main topic of conversation, but there was another moment of pure pub theatre when the barman wandered over to their table and took the order for another round of drinks.

The barman was quite nattily dressed, with silk-waistcoat and a bow-tie. He asked the group if they had noticed he was dressed for a special occasion; the occasion being the seeing in of the New Year, later that evening.  They of course had and complemented him on his sartorial elegance. One drinker said they might well surprise him later, by dressing up themselves.

I would guess that the gentleman in question was several years older than myself, and when I returned my empty glass, he wished me a pleasant evening. I felt a short explanation, as to my reasons for visiting the Garland was in order, so after also wishing me a safe journey home, he expressed a desire to see me again, should I ever find myself stranded at Redhill station.

It was a nice touch and to me was the mark of a true professional behind the bar. It also strengthened my desire to make a return visit to this fine example of an unspoilt, 19th Century, corner local.

2 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I don't blame you for delaying the review, they're tougher to do than many think.

More interesting to read about Redhill. The Garland had a reputation for the Harvey's range almost up there with the Royal Oak in Borough a decade or so ago, and then slipped out of the GBG, so good to hear the beer was good.

NB I recommend the Spoons there !

Paul Bailey said...

I made some good progress with the review last night, Martin. I might even get it finished later today, providing Mrs PBT's doesn't find me any more jobs to do!

Interesting to learn a bit more about the Garland at Redhill, especially after discovering via, What Pub, that Harvey's purchased it in 1992. I thought it was a much more recent acquisition.

I presume it is still very much a beer pub, as I noticed Dark Mild and IPA on sale, alongside the excellent Old Ale. I've never been a huge fan of Harvey's IPA (formerly, and more correctly in my book, known as PA.), and for the Garland to be stocking the rather rare Harvey's mild, does indicate it is shifting a lot of beer!