Friday 31 December 2021

2021's review can wait - I've got a long-distance trail to complete!

Today, I really should have been putting the finishing touches to my review of 2021, but I decided to go hiking instead. I’m glad I did, because once the light drizzly rain had cleared, I thoroughly enjoyed my walk across the top of Box Hill. I didn’t enjoy the descent, or at least my knees didn’t, as it was not only much steeper than I anticipated, but it was also much longer.

I obviously hadn’t realised how high I had climbed on my route up from Betchworth station, past the old quarry and Brockham lime works, and onto to the summit of Box Hill. In case you hadn’t guessed, I was waking another stretch of the North Downs Way.

Looking at the map it was only just over four miles, but the changes of altitude, and the fact I chose the wrong descent from the summit, it certainly felt much longer. So much so that I decided I abort the walk at the Burford Bridge Hotel, and then take the train, one stop, from Box Hill & Westhumble station, back into Dorking.

My original plan had been to continue for another two miles along the NDW, before doubling back to Dorking West station, and whilst I would have been up to it, I’m glad I didn’t. Looking at the map Box Hill station will make a far more logical starting point for my next journey west, and if I hadn’t stopped when I did, I would have missed the delights of the Garland, in Redhill.

There will be more about this splendid street corner Harveys’ pub in a subsequent post, but back to the review for a minute, I noticed that the last time I looked at it was Christmas Eve. There’s no time to finish it now, and I’m not in the mood either, so by way of compensation, here are a few not particularly good photos, from today’s walk.

Points to remember, apart from the final descent, the majority of the walk was through woodland, and it was drizzly to start with. I’m kicking myself for missing what would have been a cracking shot, and definitely the best one of the walk, when a peloton (I think that’s the right word) of cyclists came hurtling up the famous zig-zag road, straight towards me. With map in one hand, and walking stick in the other, I was unable to get my phone out, ready to shoot, before they were gone.

Such is life, but apart from the less than impressive photos, I would like to wish each and everyone of you a happy, prosperous, successful and above all, healthy New Year. Thanks too for sticking with me and supporting the blog through what has been another perplexing and troublesome year.

No comments: