Friday 2 April 2021

Getting ready for the off

It’s been a roller-coaster couple of weeks, which might explain why I haven’t posted much on the blog recently. An unexpected problem with my car, which then snowballed into a couple of other expensive issues, saw me not only car less for five days, but didn’t exactly do my bank-balance any favours either.

Fortunately, son Matthew had two weeks off from work, so was able to drive me to and from work, and also lend me his car in order to drive Mrs PBT’s to the shops. So, with work remaining fiendishly busy as well, I’ve been looking forward to the long Easter break.

Leading up to this, unseasonably fine weather at the start of the week (where did that go to?), made my regular lunchtime walks even more pleasant than usual. Spring flowers in abundance, not just daffodils, but glades of pale-yellow primroses coming into their own, lambs skipping about in the fields, left me with a spring in my step – if you’ll pardon the pun.

Wednesday’s walk saw me making a rare diversion down into Charcott, home of the award-winning Greyhound. Licensee Richard was busy getting the garden straight, assisted by a member of staff. I stopped for a quick chat. Shortly after, landlady Fran appeared with some cups of tea for Richard and his helper.

She confirmed the pub would be re-opening on Tuesday 13th April for drinks, with food being served from the following day. 13th April happens to be my birthday, so providing nothing disastrous occurs in the meantime, I aim to be sitting out in the Greyhound’s garden and enjoying a pint of Larkin’s, come rain or shine.

 As well as improving the garden, the couple have converted the porch area, at the front of the pub, into an area that provides shelter from the elements, but without being closed in. Good news as it increases the Greyhound’s ability to cater for an increased number of outdoor drinkers, until that magic day arrives, when Nanny decides we’ve been good boys and girls, allows us back indoors and starts treating us like responsible adults.

The Greyhound is just over 10 minutes’ walk from my workplace, but even nearer is the Little Brown Jug; a large It is an attractive late 19th Century building which despite being enlarged over the years, still retains much of its original character.   

The Little Brown Jug is just over five minutes’ walk away and is situated directly opposite Penshurst station.  I have been watching, with interest, the preparations the staff were making, in advance of re-opening. Disappointingly, it hasn’t been warm enough for bikinis – unlike last summer. For more information, please refer to this post which I wrote at the time. A large open-sided tent has been erected in the Jug’s equally large garden, in anticipation perhaps of the fickleness of the English weather.

I haven’t yet checked online, but I imagine the pub will be taking full advantage of Prime Minister Johnson’s roadmap out of lock-down, by re-opening at the earliest opportunity on 12th April Covid-19 infection rated permitting. Assuming they are, I shall be waiting in line for the chance of a pint in the garden.


2 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Did you remove the bikini photo, Paul ? Asking for a friend.

Paul Bailey said...

Of course Martin, on both scores. Not that there were any photos, in the first place!

I got into enough trouble last summer, just taking a few snaps inside a local cafe - and that's with no people in the frame, let alone scantily-clad, former Hollyoaks stars.