Sunday 25 April 2021

Still feeling the need to experiment

I came in for a spot of criticism from a correspondent, over my recent blog post about the reopening of the Nelson Arms, in Tonbridge. I mentioned how good the Harvey’s was but then, because I moved on to a few of the other beers the pub had on sale, I was questioned as to why I didn’t stay with Lewes’s finest, for the rest of the session. He went on to say, Why at your age do you still feel the need to experiment & having a Ruby with it, words fail me.”

The comment came from a character, who goes by the name of “Greengrass.” He occasionally posts comment on my blog, normally about local pubs of character and what the beer is like, and if he is the person, I think he is, then I know him, at least by sight. He is someone who used to come into my off-license, from time to time and I do know he is someone who knows and enjoys his beer.

Mildly chastised, and ignoring the remark about the curry I enjoyed, I replied that I was caught up in the moment, rather like "a kid in a sweet shop" and, as I admit to being a fan of dark beers, I wanted to try a couple that were on offer that afternoon. I said I was sure there would be plenty of other opportunities for a session on the Harvey’s.

His comment did get me thinking though, as to why we sometimes do opt for a range of beers, when there are good, honest, and reliable beers, such as Harvey’s on offer, and especially when that “safe” beer happens to be in tip-top condition? Could it be the fear here, of missing out on something amazing, or is it the kids in a sweet shop syndrome of being totally overwhelmed by what is on offer?

Variety is said to be the spice of life and I like to try different beers –
broaden my horizons, so to speak, but sometimes I come unstuck and choose one that turns out to be not to my liking. Admittedly this doesn’t happen often, as I can usually tell from the description on the pump clip, or from previous knowledge. There are also certain breweries whose beers I tend to avoid, again based on past experience. This doesn’t mean they are necessarily bad, it’s just that they do not appeal to me personally.

Sometimes though I have to be in a particular mood, for a particular style. For example, I might want a beer that is light and refreshing, at the start of a session, before finishing up with one that is dark, rich, and heavy. Alternatively, it’s the wrong time of year, as who really wants to be drinking heavy stouts and porters during a heat wave?

I have read about people attending a beer festival and then sticking with a single beer. I’ve even known people to do this themselves; although to be fair this usually happens after they’ve sampled a few that were not to their liking. I can understand when they do find one, they like, they then stick with it.

I recall a tale, from CAMRA’s Great British Beer Festival, about a group of drinkers who attended each year, and met up at the Shepherd Neame bar, which used to be housed in a distinctly decorated, double-decker bus. They would then spend the whole day there drinking nothing but Shepherd Neame beer. Each to their own, but it does seem rather obtuse behaviour given that sheer variety of beers available at this event.

This situation is not unique, of course, and more to the point it is British Beer Festivals, and their North American imitators that are different from most other parts of the world. Take Germany, for example, there festivals are more about enjoying beer in a social and convivial atmosphere, rather than attempting to “tick” as many new/different beers as possible.

Beer at Munich’s world-famous Oktoberfest is limited to the products of the city’s six large breweries, and even then, it is a special “Festbier” brewed to a stronger strength than the everyday “quaffing” beers. At the far less well-known Annafest, held each July in woods above the small Franconian town of Forchheim, the town’s four small breweries supply the bulk of the beer, although several of the Kellers (drinking areas), do stock beers brewed in some of the surrounding villages.

Again, having a good time (there is normally live music and other attractions, such as fairground rides, at these events), is the order of the day, and whilst the beer is nothing short of top notch, once ensconced in a particular tent (Oktoberfest) or Keller (Annafest), it does play second fiddle to the partying and good time feeling that characterises these festivals.

Quite a lengthy response then, to Greengrass’s probing question about me “still feeling the need to experiment,” but if you have read this far, you will understand now that there is no straight answer – at least not from me!  The truth is I can live with either the “let’s try several different beers,” approach or “I’m going to stick with just the one brew,” as they are both very dependent on my mood at the time and the situation, I find myself in.

Given the above, I can enjoy both, so my question to those of you reading this is, in situations when you come across a beer that is at the top of its game, or one that just happens to be your personal favourite, do you stick with it all evening, or do you still do a bit of mixing and matching?

And Greengrass, if after reading this, you happen to spot me in a pub, and I don't seem to recognise you, come over and say hello, and I'll buy you a pint - Harvey's or whatever takes your fancy!

 

 

11 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I also wondered about that Greengrass comment, Paul, but assumed it was the sort of jokey thing I'd say that sometimes falls flat.

What I like about your pubgoing is that you're happy to go with the trad and experiment with new styles and even that evil keg I read about when straying from the Beer & Pubs Forum. And you like a pint rather than a sip.

If you're in a pub for an extended session (quite rare for both of us) and the first beer is exceptionally well kept as in the Nelson it makes perfect sense to try something else on the bar.

The only exception is that if I find a pub with great Bass (say, the Star in Bath) I doubt I'd move off that !

Dave said...

I find his comment intriguing. In a German pub there is often only one choice and we happily drink it while sitting there for hours. Change the location to a bar in the US with forty taps and we almost immediately shift to a different choice every round. I find myself doing this even if I loved my first beer. It is almost as if I think I might miss something by staying with the my first choice.

Greengrass said...

Paul, I enjoy a host of different beers but unlike you I don't have "plenty of opportunity" left.
When I go out I select a pub where the tipple that I fancy on the day is available & that the landlord or landlady are capable of serving it at its best.
You mention time of year & mood that help you to decide what to drink, I agree mood in particular. I would also add company, health & at the moment Covid awareness.
I have travelled quite a lot & not being familiar with the beers on offer abroad I have been forced to experiment, as far as I remember all were very drinkable. Unfortunately I never attended any of the German festivals but I did go to one over here, once!
Retiredmartin, hello, unfortunately to my knowledge we don't have Bass around these parts, perhaps Paul will put me right about that.
And now just to throw the cat among the pigeons, do you spit it out when testing different beers at "an extended session" because surely after a while they all taste the same.

Paul Bailey said...

Thank you all for your comments regarding this article, I shall respond to them one by one:

Martin, I think by and large we are both singing from the same hymn sheet. It is probably more common for me, than it is for you, to remain in a pub for an extended session, and if it is a multi-beer, I will always try a few. If one shines out above all the others, then I will inevitably return to it, but sometimes a beer, that is one of my favourites, fails to live up to expectations.

This brings me on to the subject of great Bass. Regrettably, the Star in Bath remains on my list of top pubs to visit, but the experience we had with the same beer in Burton-on-Trent, on that last Proper Day Out (the one you unfortunately had to miss), illustrates my last point.

We had all been looking forward to the Bass at the Coopers – which was the penultimate pub on the tour. Given the pub’s reputation as the former Bass Brewery Tap, and the way it never served from serving Bass, straight from the cask, we all thought the Bass that evening was way off form. To a man, we all agreed we’d had better Bass earlier in the day, at the Devonshire, the Elms and for some, the Derby Inn.

Dave, your comment that you might be missing something, by staying with your first choice, hits the nail on the head, but it must be even harder in the US. Although I’ve only made a couple of visits to your fascinating country, the sheer choice of different beers available, in even the most average of bars, is staggering, and knowing which ones to choose is a real minefield.

It really is the kid in a sweet shop syndrome, but I do try to steer away from the really heavy Double PS’s and Imperial Stouts. My American brother-in-law does the same, and he has commented before about how the misses some of the ordinary strength bitters he enjoyed during the 13 years he was stationed in the UK.

Greengrass, thank-you for coming back on this one, and if what I read into your first sentence is what I think it might be, then I am sorry.

Company, health and Covid awareness are all playing their part, one way or another, as we slowly some out of lock-down, and I think we both can agree that they can sometimes affect our choice of pub and, by implication, the beer as well. It does make sense to choose one’s pub wisely, and if you can pick one where you can almost guarantee that the beer will be good, then so much the better.

Moving on, I don’t know any pubs now, in this area, which serve Bass. When I first came to Tonbridge – initially for work, back in the early 1980’s, the Man of Kent in East Street served a first-class pint of Burton’s finest, but alas no more. Bass always was a rarity in this part of Kent, and a trip to London was often necessary in order to track down a pint.

With regard to your last comment, I tend to agree that beers tend to taste the same after a prolonged session, which is why many years ago, I went off UK beer festivals, with their third pint “taster” glasses. As Charles Dickens famously wrote, “Beer cannot be tasted is a sip”

Finally, I mean what I say about buying you that pint!

retiredmartin said...

Was that really Charles Dickens?

Always thought it was me!

Paul Bailey said...

Martin, it could easily have been you as well as Charles Dickens.

The thimble size glasses (1oz pour, whatever that is), are the one thing above, all others, which would put me off attending the Great American Beer Festival. Beer is supposed to be a long drink!

Greengrass said...

Nothing serious Paul just old age. I look forward to that pint.

Paul Bailey said...

That’s a relief, Greengrass. I too look forward to that pint!

Curmudgeon said...

I haven't had more than two pints in the same pub on one occasion since last March. In a multi-beer pub I would probably spread my favours around, but if it was one that just sold two or three regular beers I'd be more likely to stick to my favourite. In a Robinson's pub I wouldn't feel the need to try the Dizzy Blonde rather than the Unicorn or Wizard.

Maybe more deserving of criticism are those who cannot comprehend how anyone could be happy drinking the same beer in the same pub all evening.

Luke Warris said...

It's ok to feel the need for experimenting be it at an older age certainly because in this scenario one feels he needs to enjoy life to the fullest. But what is really needed is choosing the right place to chill out.

Pubs in Shrewsbury

Paul Bailey said...

Agreed, Luke!