Monday 13 December 2021

Winter ales at the Nelson

A winter beers festival has been running  at Tonbridge’s Nelson Arms since the end of last week, so it seemed rude not to go along, take a look and try some of the carefully selected ales on offer. I wasn’t being facetious with that last statement, as the beers had all been hand-packed and hand collected as well, by Nelson licensee, Matthew (Matt) Rudd.

Although most of the beers were dark, a few weren’t, and these included Victoria Bitter from Earl Soham Brewery near Stowmarket, and Black Country favourite, Holden’s Black Country Bitter. There were also a couple of heavy weights, in the form of Prince of Denmark, from Harvey’s and Baltic Trader Export Stout, from Green Jack Brewing, near Lowestoft.

Matt told me, and another customer, how he had embarked on a circular trip, taking in, amongst others, breweries such as Church End, Holdens, Blue Monkey, Castle Rock, Earl Soham, Lacon’s, Green Jack and Bishop Nick. That sounded like quite a tour and quite a haul as well.

 The “other customer” was a chap I got talking to, whilst standing at the bar. He was quizzing Matt as to why he didn’t pick up any Batham’s beers, when he stopped to collect the Holden’s.  Matt took the hint and said he would try and get hold of some Batham’s when he returns the Holden’s empties.

My newfound “friend” turned out to be a fellow called Brian, who had travelled over, by train, from Maidstone.  Given his enthusiasm for, and knowledge of all thing’s beer, I guessed he was a CAMRA member, and I was right. He turned out to know several people that I know in the Maidstone branch, so I asked him to pass on my best wishes, the next time he sees these individuals.

The pub was quite full, with a crowd in the public bar watching some motor race or other – something to do with a Grand Prix!  Now I’ve never been that interested in this so-called sport, which seems to rely on which team can change a set of tyres the quickest, and which driver can slip past the one in front, when it comes to a corner. Many people are fans, so it was good to see the “public bar” area full of Formula One devotees.

The area at the other end of the pub, which is around the corner of the bar, seemed popular with diners, getting tucked into the Nelson’s popular Sunday roast dinners.  There was a roast dinner waiting for me at home, so I was content to stick with the beer. I started off with a pint of Holden’s, thinking that the last time I enjoyed a glass of this tasty Black Country Bitter, was just over two years ago, in the bar at Codsall Station. Yesterday’s pint at the Nelson was every bit as good as that one, which came at the start of a boozy day out in the neighbouring Shropshire town of Shifnal.

I then moved on, at Matt’s suggestion, to the Old Ale, from Kent Brewery. Regular readers will know I enjoy a drop of the dark stuff, and old ales, which are normally of reasonable strength, have always been amongst my favourites.  So, after tracking down some Harvey’s Old Ale, the Sunday before at the Elephant’s Head, and now a pint of a slightly stronger old ale, was enough to put me in dark beer heaven.

Matt claimed that particular gyle of old, had been maturing in a tank at Kent Brewery, since last year. It was an interesting beer, with more than a touch of liquorice lurking in the background. Whilst I was getting stuck into my pint, Brian from Maidstone, left to catch his train, but I wasn’t on my own for long as a couple of local CAMRA members, Jon, and Claire, called in.

They were just in time for a spot of lunch and managed to grab an adjacent table to me. Jon was straight in on the old, with Claire, who was chauffeuring him around, on the orange juice. I hadn’t really seen either of them since before the last lock-down, so it was good to have a bit of a catch up on both the beer and the CAMRA front.

Time was getting on, and I had only really popped in for a swift one. I couldn’t leave though without sampling at least one of the strong ales that Matt had on tap, and seeing as I’ve tried, and enjoyed, the 7.5% Prince of Denmark from Harvey’s, in previous years, my choice had to be the Baltic Trader, Export Stout from Green Jack Brewery. With an abv of 10.5%, this rich dark ale doesn’t take any prisoners.

Fortunately, the pub had thought of this, and was offering the beer in 1/3rd, 2/3rd, half-pint, or full pint measures. I opted for the smallest of these, and at £2.60, compared to £7.50 for a full pint, it was worth paying the small, extra premium for a small glass of this fearsome beer. The two stronger beers were dispensed straight from casks in the cellar, presumably to minimise wastage as well as leave room on the pumps for the more standard strength beers.

When tasted, this full-bodied Export Stout certainly didn’t disappoint. I described the beer on Untappd as “Liquid dynamite. Thick, dark, and like liquid molasses.” Others described it as being packed full of preserved fruit, with liquorice and chocolate notes, but whatever the description, it was certainly a beer not to be missed.

Green Jack Brewing are based in Lowestoft, which makes them Britain’s most easterly brewery. The brew-plant is hosed in an old smoke house in the heart of Lowestoft’s old town, and Green Jack beers can be found all over the country. A wide and eclectic range of beers is produced, including a smoked beer, which is highly appropriate, given the brewery’s home in an old smoke house. 

I left, after finishing my glass of this very special beer, but as the festival still has another week to run, I’m quite likely to be making a return visit to the Nelson before next weekend is out.

No comments: