Sunday 4 August 2019

Good beer and good cheer at the Nelson Arms


I caught up with an old friend, over a few drinks, last Thursday evening. We’d only seen each other briefly over the course of the past few months, so a get-together was long overdue.

As we wanted somewhere quiet, where we could chat without disturbance from television or recorded music, we opted for the Nelson Arms, a backstreet local, tucked away behind Tonbridge railway station.

It’s just over a mile from my house to the pub and being quite a sultry evening, I was rather hot and sticky when I arrived. My friend had turned up a few minutes beforehand, and was standing at the bar when I walked through the door.

The choice of beers was split between Kent Brewery and Young’s. I was especially pleased to see both Ordinary and Special on sale from the latter brewery, and over the course of the evening was determined to try both of them.

The Nelson was reasonably busy, with a handful of darts players in the former public bar area, plus a few small number of individuals, like us, in the plusher, right hand section of the pub. We found a spare table and sat down, both eager to recount and listen to each other’s traveller’s tales.

My friend had spent time travelling through France and into western Germany, with his Australian girlfriend, whilst I’d been on a business trip to China and had also walked an additional section of the North Downs Way. We compared notes and looked at each other’s photos – digital ones, of course, but I came away having added Heidelberg to my list of places to visit, along with the Alsace region of eastern France.

I was also able to catch up with some of the developments taking place locally, on the CAMRA front as, unlike me, my friend is still active as a committee member of West Kent CAMRA.  The branch had recently held presentations for three local pubs, which were either deemed “much improved” or runner-up in the branch pub of the year award (please don’t call it POTY!). For a variety of reasons, I missed these events, but my friend confirmed they had all been successful and were well attended.

I was true to my aim of trying both the Young’s beers, preferring the Ordinary to the Special. The latter seemed darker than I remember it, with a slight reddish tint which certainly wasn’t present in the Special I drank in my twenties and early thirties. I still scored it at 3.0 NBSS, against a 3.5 for the Ordinary.

By contrast, the 4.9% Tropic Ale, from Kent Brewery, wasn’t as good, and with hindsight I should have gone with the brewery’s weaker 3.7% Session Pale. With work the following morning, three pints was sufficient for me, but even so it was getting on for 11pm when we left the pub.

Before ending, special mention should be made of the young and very knowledgeable barmaid, who changed my first pint (a very cloudy seasonal from Kent Brewery), without question, and who also told me about her attempts to promote the “craft” cans, stored in a glass fronted fridge, behind the bar. Full marks to her, and full marks to landlord Matt Rudd for teaching his staff about beer.


So a good evening all round with good company, good beer and an excellent pub, which is also a great place to visit for a quiet drink.



6 comments:

retiredmartin said...

It's always good to read praise for our bar staff, Paul. I had a little grumble about being invisible at the bar this week, but I also frequently comment on how chatty and knowledgeable young bar staff are.


You seem to see the Youngs brand more regularlyly in Kent than I do. I'd imagined the brand would wither.

Incidentally, if you get to Heidleburg you MUST visit Technik Museum in Speyer which is next door.

Paul Bailey said...

I do empathise with hard working bar staff Martin, especially when they’re pleasant and doing a good job, so I totally agree about giving praise when it’s due. It’s the grumpy, indifferent and couldn’t care less ones that get my goat. When that person is the licensee, then I really have to wonder what on earth they are doing in the hospitality trade.

I had to chuckle over your “invisible” post, as I’m sure we’ve all been there at one time or another in our live. When you’ve been waiting though, a particularly long time to be served, it’s extremely frustrating and doubly so when the person who came in after you gets seen to first.

I have sometimes felt the same in places where table service is the norm, such as in Germany for example. Sometimes you might get served relatively quickly, but when you’ve a king-sized thirst on, and you’ve put away that first glass of beer with amazing speed, you then find that the waiter or waitress has disappeared, and you’re sitting there with an empty glass and a raging thirst.

It didn’t happen on my last trip to Cologne, which was for business. With around six of us in our party, and the city bustling with visitors to the trade show, we were well looked after at all the pubs and restaurants we visited.

retiredmartin said...

What time are you likely to be at GBBF, Paul.

Just possible I'll make it eventually!

Paul Bailey said...

Aiming to be there shortly after opening time, but when the queue has died down - if that makes sense.

Send me a text or email me.

retiredmartin said...

Lost your details in latest new phone.

Send me text on 07415 254142 when you get in. I've bought ticket and will aim for 12.30 after crush dies down. I'll be at the Sharps Doom Bar stand.

Paul Bailey said...

I see your number hasn't changed with your new phone, Martin.

Doom Bar doesn't appear on the beer list, btw, but if you want to stick with Kernow, Padstow Brewing Co looks interesting - location B11.