Thursday 23 March 2023

Brauhaus zur Schreckenskammer

I’m not sure as to when I first came across Schreckenskammer-Kölsch. It must have been prior to my penultimate visit to Cologne, which was in 2019. This was at a time when I believed I had drunk virtually every Kölsch available in the city, so stumbling upon Schreckenskammer came as something of a surprise. I bought a 500ml bottle during that 2019 trip but was determined to track down the Schreckenskammer pub on my next visit to Cologne, little thinking that, thanks to Covid, the trip wouldn’t be for another four years!

Today, I’m back home and writing this post exactly a week after finally managing to sample some draught Schreckenskammer on, not just its own turf, but actually in the Schreckenskammer pub itself. Doing a spot of research though, brings me no nearer to discovering exactly where this particularly fine Kölsch is brewed, but worse than that I have discovered there is no exact figure available for the number of different Kölsch’s brewed in the city. This means that despite my earlier comment in the opening paragraph, I certainly haven’t drunk virtually every Kölsch available in Cologne.

Kölsch is described as “one of the most strictly defined beer styles in Germany”, but despite this, out of the 20 brewers that make up the Kölner Brauerei-Verband (Cologne Brewers Association), only 11 of them actually produce Kölsch. So, without wasting anymore time debating over which company brews which brand of Kölsch, and where, let’s cut to the chase and reflect on last Wednesday’s brief visit to Brauhaus zur Schreckenskammer.

Situated to the north-west of Cologne’s imposing main rail station, or Hauptbahnhof, the Schreckenskammer pub was quite easy to find, particularly with the assistance of Google Maps, on my Smart Phone. My colleagues and I had been quite close to the pub, the previous evening, when we attended a Kölsch-fueled barbecue, hosted by the German arm of our parent company, at the Lindner Hotel Som Residence, and it wasn’t much further to Schreckenskammer.  Leaving my colleagues to walk back from the dental exhibition, I took the train across the river Rhine, and headed straight for the pub. There was rather more spare time available that evening, as we hadn’t planned on going out until 8pm, due to the impending arrival of a colleague, who was travelling across from England.

Schreckenskammer is situated in Ursulagartenstraße, close to the church of St Ursula, and it was the distinctive looking tower of the church that acted as my guide – along with Google Maps, of course. I was aware from online photos that the pub was quite a modern building, as the original had been destroyed by Allied bombing, in 1943. The current pub dates from the 1960’s, and according to my researches, isn’t quite in the same location as the original pub.  It is still quite an attractive looking building, which overlooks a paved area at the entrance to the church. Pleased with myself at having found the place, I gingerly pushed the door open and stepped inside.

There was a small room over to the left, with its own serving counter, complete with some casks of beer, in full view of the customers. There was a handful of customers present, plus a member of staff behind the counter. It looked very much like a private bar,” so I headed, instead, for the larger, and more spacious room to the right. It was laid out with plenty of tables and chairs, but very little in the way of empty places, as most seemed occupied with diners.  I sat myself down at the end of one such table, with my back to the window. I do this in most pubs, as I like to see what’s going on, rather than sit with my back to the action. 

When the waiter, or Kobe, passed, by with his tray of glasses, he uttered the word, “Kölsch,” and almost without waiting for an answer, placed a full glass on the table in front of me, whilst at the same time marking a fresh beer mat, with a tick. The beer was served in a badged glass – as per the photo and was rather good, with a deep golden colour and plenty of body. The pub itself was buzzing, with a lively mix of customers, spanning several different age groups. I got the impression that most of them were local, drawn from the nearby flats. I wanted to take a few photos but was thwarted in this when the waiter directed a young couple to the far end of the table. He explained, in German, of course, that they had a reservation, but it was OK for me to continue sitting where I was.

When he returned and exchanged my empty glass for a full one, I asked whether a reservation was required for later that evening. My colleagues and I had a traditional Cologne tavern in mind for that evening, and given its relative proximity to our hotel, plus its obvious credentials as a “proper” Kölsch house, it would have been ideal. The menu too, looked tempting, very traditional and reasonably priced, but sadly the waiter informed me that they were fully booked, that evening.

I finished my beer and resisting the temptation of a third – I knew that my colleagues would have  king-sized thirst on them, I drank up, settled my tab and departed. On the way out I managed to take a few shots of the private bar,” without drawing too much attention to myself, and headed back to the hotel. I thought I’d be clever and navigate my way back, without re-tracing my footsteps to the station.  I knew our temporary residence lay on the other side of the tracks, but somehow, I became disoriented, despite tapping in my destination onto Google Maps.

It didn’t really matter, as there was plenty of time, and it was interesting exploring a part of the city I hadn’t seen before, but for whatever reason, I found myself heading back towards the station, guided by the imposing presence of Cologne’s magnificent cathedral. This “wrong turn” allowed me to pick up a few goodies at the REWE supermarket, beneath the tracks; one of many retail outlets occupying this prime shopping area. Along with some snack items for the family back home, I bought myself four bottles of Kölsch, including a bottle of Schreckenskammer.

Continuing onto the hotel, I bumped into a couple of colleagues who had also been out shopping. Like me they were making use of the limited amount of free time, between exhibition commitments and pre-arranged evening social arrangements – eating and drinking mainly, and on two occasions with members of our parent company.  They informed me that the colleague we were waiting for had still not arrived, although when we reached the hotel, we discovered she had just checked in.

I too, needed to pop back to my room and change into something more comfortable, before enjoying a couple of glasses of Gaffel Kölsch in the hotel reception area. We set off into central Cologne, with the intention of securing a table at Früh am Dom.  As mentioned previously, Früh is a maze of inter-connected rooms, spread out across several different levels, and was absolutely heaving when we arrived. We were fortunate then that one of the waiters managed to squeeze us in.

So, we had our traditional, Cologne tavern evening, although I can’t help thinking it would have been even more authentic, if there had been room available at Brauhaus zur Schreckenskammer. Next time, I report on a visit to somewhere even more traditional, that is a survivor from a bygone age. Gaststätte Lommerzheim, situated on the opposite side of the River Rhine, in the area of Cologne, known as Deutz, is a must-visit, old Cologne pub, which has gained quite a reputation in recent years, amongst beer lovers and beer writers. All will be revealed, next time.

3 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Fruh am Dom is lovely, we had a simple tea (bread and cheese) with Joan and Dave there, but I know what you mean about disappointment about not be able to go somewhere new.

Did you find all of Cologne busy. Nearly everywhere we went was filling up by 5:30 when we were there in early November, mainly with local gentlefolk, which was great to see.

Paul Bailey said...

Pleased to hear that Früh am Dom was to your liking Martin. That’s two evening visits we’ve made now, and on both occasions the place didn’t disappoint. An improvement on our previous visit, was that Früh now takes cards, whereas in 2017 it was cash only. Fortunately, on that occasion, an embarrassing situation was avoided following a quick whip round, amongst ourselves.

Cologne was busy, apart from on Monday night, which was when we arrived in the city. We’d a table booked at El Chango, an Argentinian steakhouse, that offers the best cuts of meat in town, that for us has become something of a tradition on the first night of the dental show. To say the place was busy, would be an understatement.

It was all the more surprising then to find much of the Old Town deserted, as we made our way back to the hotel, and this emptiness was reinforced, when we called in at Peters Brauhaus for a final, late-night Kölsch. This well-know beerhall was empty, and the waiter who greeted us at the entrance told us they would be closing at 11pm. As the time was 10.45, he relented and allowed us in, for a quick beer, although he didn’t seem impressed when we ordered a couple of glasses each!

We still finished them before closing time, and our General Manager, who picked up the tab, gave him a generous tip. Cologne seemed much busier on the other evenings, helped of course, by a large influx of visitors from all over the world, all keen on getting their teeth seen to!

retiredmartin said...

Interesting about Monday; is a lot of tourist sites closed then ? We were there Tue-Fri, busy each night.

Also interesting about German places holding onto cash. It was a few years back, but at Memmingen Airport they have/had a fake looking old r.estaurant where we ended a trip having used our euros on beer earlier. We were astonished when it didn't take any cards. Not sure how we paid in the end