Saturday 14 January 2023

Out at Christmas, from under the Covers

I’ve mentioned before that being a beer lover connoisseur, means that at Christmas time, I sometimes receive the odd beer or two, as a present from well-meaning relatives, or even the occasional work colleague. I published a post about this, three years ago, emphasising the fact that just because I appreciate a decent drop of ale, does not necessarily mean I’m going to be eternally grateful, if you happen to slip a bottle of some quirky sounding beer into my Christmas stocking.

“Paul likes his ales,” is a remark I’ve heard, and in the past, this has often been misinterpreted. To many people the word “ales” signifies a beer that is a cut above the rest; the rest of course being mass-marketed international brands of industrial lager. Regrettably, this often means the likes of heavily promoted Premium Bottled Ales (PBA’s) from brewers such as Badger, Greene King and Marston’s, rather than something far less mainstream, and far more drinkable.

As I said in that article from 2020, these are the types of beers that are unfortunately perceived by the general public as “real ale,” and the ones likely to appeal to a beer lover like myself. If I do find myself on the receiving end of such “delights” I try very carefully to appear pleased and grateful, as after all it is the thought that counts. I also work on the premise that sampling some of these mainstream brands, reminds oneself just how boring many of them are.

Occasionally though, and it is becoming slightly more common, I receive a beer which both surprises and delights. This occurred completely out of the blue, this Christmas, when I was the recipient of an unusual promotional pack of beer, courtesy of the eldest of my wife’s two nieces. To spare embarrassment, I won’t reveal the lady’s name, but she works as a sales representative for a local builder’s merchants.

Not many people will have heard of Covers, where the “o” is pronounced as in "Dover," but the company is a family-owned Builder & Timber Merchants with 15 depots, spread across southern England. Covers works with the building trade and is also open to the public, and last year the company celebrated their 175th anniversary. To commemorate this significant anniversary, Covers commissioned Powder Monkey Brewing of Gosport, Hants to produce a special brew, and it was a three-can, promotional pack of these beers that I received as a present, on Boxing Day.

The beers are packaged in appropriate 440 ml cans, designed with a typical “tradesmen” look, so as to appeal to builders, carpenters, plumbers and other tradespeople who make up the bulk of Covers’ customers. The beer itself is a “Tropical Pale Ale” with an abv of 4.6%.  Tasting notes on the rear of the can, describe the contents as “A soft and tropical beer with pillowy mouthfeel from oats in the malt body. There are dry hop additions of Galaxy and Idaho hops, which combine to create passion-fruit aromas, with notes of pineapple and peach.”

The beer was certainly heavily focussed on the aforementioned fruits, but my main gripe was its hazy appearance. It is obviously intended to be that way, as the bottom strap-line invites consumers to “Store Cold. Drink fresh. Naturally hazy.” An unfortunate statement, as I am becoming increasingly averse to beers that are designed to be hazy – naturally or otherwise! In addition, I can’t imagine your average bricklayer, chippy, roofer, or sparks, being over-enamoured at receiving a glass of murk. This is a shame, as the beer itself is very good – especially when first poured, and before the sediment has entered one's glass.

So, what about the brewery behind the beer? Powder Monkey Brewing started up, in 2019, and based themselves in an old Naval Gunpowder Store in Priddy's Hard, Gosport. The name Powder Monkey relates to the boys and girls who carried the gunpowder to the guns on board ships. The company produce a wide range of beers across a multitude of styles, although I can find no reference of the commemorative Covers beer on their website, nor indeed on Untappd. It was a good idea, and a nice thought too, from Eileen’s niece, although I will be interested to learn what her customers thought of the beer.

 

10 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I was at a Gosport microbrewery tap this week, but that was Fallen Acorn, not Powder Monkey, which only rings a faint bell, Paul.

Luckily I neither give or receive any Christmas presents so I am never disappointed by gifts and never impart disappointment either !

Paul Bailey said...

To not give and not receive presents at Christmas, does sound a very sensible arrangement Martin, providing all parties are in agreement on this. I remember a friend from university, describing this as a "non-aggression pact," but it was a sensible idea when you're a hard-up student.

How did your boys feel about this, when they were young, and all their schoolmates were getting stuff for Christmas?

T'other Paul said...

Martin,
That's understandable with 'the Big Day' just 72 hours earlier.

retiredmartin said...

Good point Paul, the 22nd is, personally, a much bigger day.

We bought our boys presents till they were in their teens and then stopped.

Incidentally, why should I care whether all parties agree with not sending presents ? There's no law that says you have to give presents/send cards/say Happy Christmas (is there ?).

Paul Bailey said...

Sounds like an eminently sensible arrangement, Martin, especially given the enormous commercial pressures, encouraging people to overspend at Christmas. We don’t go overboard, as there’s nothing much that any of us want, yet alone REALLY need. If we DO want something, then we buy it ourselves.

I agree that there’s absolutely no rule/law that says you have to reciprocate with regard to presents/Christmas cards, and with regard to the latter, the advent of email, the cost of postage, plus the posties going on strike, has probably sounded the death knell for this outdated, Victorian custom!

T'other Paul said...

Christmas cards are a generational thing. I send them to and get them from several of my old school friends but wouldn't expect them from my nephews and their families.
It's the same as pubs being for all week. During 2021 half of my beer was drunk on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with Thursdays accounting for 40% and Friday, Saturday and Sunday together only making up !0%. Last year Wednesday was the day I drank most beer but nowadays many youngsters only think of going out at the weekend, and many more don't drink alcohol at all.

retiredmartin said...

I should say at this point that I DO appreciate the beer mats and old magazines that Paul has given me over the years. I was thrilled with those.

Paul Bailey said...

Christmas cards are definitely a generational thing, Stafford Paul, although now there are very few surviving relatives left from my parent’s generation – I’m left with just two aunts and one uncle. I have two sisters but have never really kept in contact with my five cousins.

I haven’t kept in touch with any school friends either, so most of the cards I send are to friends that I’ve made, over the years, through my membership of CAMRA – common interest, I suppose. Being lazy, I leave my wife to write out the majority of the Christmas cards we send, which are mainly to old work colleagues, or even the occasional former neighbour!

This might all seem strange, coming from someone whose father was employed by the Post Office-Royal Mail, all his working life, but dad only stayed with the postal service, because of their generous, non-contributory, index-linked pension, and was able to retire at 60. The organisation was known as the GPO when my father began his career, and was part of the Civil Service – hence the generous pension!

T'other Paul said...

I have no surviving relatives left from my parent’s generation, just a brother.
My time with Royal Mail was only from 2007 to 2017 when my knees failed, infinitely more job satisfaction than my thirty years as a Civil Servant. From 1976 to 2006 I didn't let on that I could drive so my work trips to Carlisle, Nottinghamshire, Buckinghamshire and mainly London were all by train. I've never taken an internal flight.

Paul Bailey said...

Stafford Paul, I'm definitely with you in preferring rail travel over road, especially when it comes to business trips. With the amount of traffic on the roads these days, you really need your wits about you, especially when it comes to motorway driving. Far better to sit there in comfort, reading a book or gazing out of the window, as the train speeds through the English (and Scottish) countryside. And if it's an important meeting you're travelling to, you can use the time for some last minute preparation - not that I ever did much of that!

Internal flights are pretty boring, as you still have the hassle of going through security, but without the expectancy that comes with arriving at an exotic location. The only upside, is there are no border controls to pass through.