Tuesday 17 January 2023

And there's more!

There were one or two things I neglected to mention in my recent post about Dundee, and whilst some might regard them as fairly trivial, they are still worthy of a mention. The first point regards the hotel we stayed at, as my colleague and I were really impressed with the high standards we experienced at the Hampton at Hilton. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the facilities were good, the service was efficient, and the staff friendly. What was effectively a budget price hotel, knocked the spots off other places I have stayed in recently, which just goes to prove that sometimes, price isn’t everything.

The same really applied to the rest of our experiences north of the border and especially to the people we interacted with. This includes the staff at Edinburgh Airport, the people at the car hire company, and the two taxi drivers who transported us to the post-conference, evening meal – fancy-dress party. On a personal note, I appreciated the chance of seeing Dundee’s waterfront, on our last morning in the city, when I took a stroll in that direction. My walk took me past the city’s new railway station, which opened in 2018.  Built at a cost of £38m, this impressive looking modern building replaced the old station as part of the Dundee waterfront regeneration project.

Reaching the waterfront, I came upon the Discovery, the ship used for the British National Antarctic Expedition of 1902 – 1904. The Discovery was built at Dundee, so it is perhaps only fitting that following careful restoration, the ship was returned to the city in 1992, and berthed in a custom-built dock. Standing almost adjacent to where Discovery is moored, is stunning ultra-modern lines of Dundee’s V&A Design Museum.  There wasn't time to take a look inside, but alongside other redevelopment work nearby, a substantial amount of money is being spent on improving this part of the city.

The other waterside structure well worth seeing was the Tay Road Bridge. Opened in 1966, the bridge replaced the previous ferry crossing, and remains one of the longest road bridges in Europe. A few hours later, my colleague and I drove across it, when we took the more scenic route, back to Edinburgh. This made a pleasant change from the inland route, via Perth and the M90 motorway that we had followed on our inward journey to Dundee. It allowed us to enjoy the picturesque Tayside countryside, at a slightly more leisurely pace.

On my way back to the hotel, I stopped to take some photos of the pub and restaurant we had visited two nights’ earlier. The Trades House Bar with its attractive stained-glass windows, depicting the nine “trades” that Dundee was renowned for, looked particularly impressive. I’d been convinced that the pub was listed on CAMRA’S National inventory of historic pub interiors, so imagine my disappointment when I discovered the whole place was a fake, and that the building was converted from a former bank during the 1990s.

It has to be said that the repro work was first class, and certainly fooled me, but with hindsight the woodwork, the carvings and other fixtures perhaps looked too new, even though they have been crafted in keeping with what would have been the fashion at the time. As if to acknowledge this, the Trades House Bar is listed under a special category, on What Pub, as a “Pub with outstanding Conversions & Restorations.”

It was rather windy when we arrived back at Edinburgh Airport, and we certainly felt it just walking from the car-hire drop off point, to the airport terminal. Our three o'clock flight meant that the airport was quite quiet, and pleasantly so, meaning we cleared security in next to no time. My colleague had a few emails to catch up with, on his laptop, I just sat and read a book, but we both decided that a cheeky pre-flight pint would be in order, and where better than the Brew Dog bar.

I ordered us a pint of Lost Lager each, and we sat down to enjoy it. We had earlier purchased a roll each from Pret a Manger, to eat on the plane, but my companion decided he couldn't wait, so out from his rucksack came the roll, and he started eating. I raised an eyebrow, but his response that having bought a beer each, there was nothing much that the bar could do. He argued that should the management ask us to leave, we could walk across to the benches, outside of the bar, and consume our rolls plus beer there. So, in the best BRAPA tradition, I decided to do the same. Unsurprisingly, no one batted an eyelid, although I was perhaps a little more discreet about eating my roll.

With a strong tailwind behind us we arrived back at Gatwick 20 minutes ahead of schedule, although the approach and the landing were rather bumpy. We parted company as my colleague headed off to collect his car, whilst I boarded a train back to Tonbridge. Our visit to Dundee proved successful, as our products received plenty of really positive feedback from our customer’s sales teams. The event was rounded off with a fancy dress dinner and party, so here is the photo of me, in costume, that I promised.

The theme this year, was to choose a character based on the first letter of one’s first name. So, for me, “P” for Paul, became “P” for professor, and a slightly mad professor at that! I already had part of the costume in the form of my lab coat from work, so all that was required for that “mad professor” look was the wig with the long, white  wavy hair that I purchased from Amazon. A bowtie completed the Albert Einstein look, so here I am, waiting to pick up my Nobel Prize!

 

 

13 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Excellent fancy dress, Paul. Had me fooled.

How much did a pint cost the airport ?

Oh, the V & A is a lovely building, but in 2019 it was best seen from outside. Inside there wasn't much to see at all, the space taken up with the cafe and shop that help fund the running costs once the capital investment has been provided by Arts Council/lottery !

T'other Paul said...

Not one for modern buildings I didn't really notice the new V & A museum. I was though impressed by the prospect of Dundee from the Tay Bridge, the longest on the national rail network at 2¾ miles, and thought the stumps of original bridge to be a fitting memorial to the 75 who died in the famous disaster of 1979. Also using the magnificent Forth Rail Bridge made it wonderful journeys there and back. And with a few Edinburgh and Manchester pubs while changing trains I wouldn't have considered any other means of transport for that weekend.

T'other Paul said...

I meant that the Tay Bridge at 2¾ miles is the longest proper bridge on the national rail network.
The London Bridge and Greenwich Railway Viaduct spans over three miles through Bermondsey and consists of 851 semi-circular arches most of which I believe now house microbreweries producing grapefruit murk.

Dave said...

I love this dilemma. "I discovered the whole place was a fake." Why does authenticity matter in a situation like this? If a place feels 100 years old and authentic, why do we care that it is a reproduction? Should we love the center of Dresden less since it was restored? I know we let it matter, but I am never sure that it should matter.

Paul Bailey said...

Martin, not surprisingly the beer wasn’t cheap at the airport, with Lost Lager retailing at £7.20 a pint! It wasn’t as though I could claim it back on expenses though, as whilst the company will reimburse staff for a couple of drinks in the evening – provided they are purchased with a meal, I would be trying my luck, trying to claim for two cheeky, pre-flight bevvies, at lunchtime!

Pleased to learn I didn’t miss much by not stepping inside the V&A. Much the same as that museum at Kelham Island, that you and Will dumped me off at!!

Paul Bailey said...

The rail route to Dundee, that you describe, Stafford Paul, would have been my ideal choice, but I wasn’t the person in charge of the trip. At one hour 10 minutes, the flight from Gatwick to Edinburgh was the fastest option, but perhaps not when you factor in check-in times at the airport, picking up the hire car, and then the drive to Dundee.

I’d still like to have crossed the Tay by rail, although I didn’t realise that the bridge was the longest, on the national rail network. I wouldn’t class the viaduct between London Bridge and Greenwich as a bridge, even though technically speaking it is. With all those trains rattling through above, it’s small wonder that all those railway arch breweries churn out murky beer!

Paul Bailey said...

You are right in what you say Dave, and the Dresden analogy is a perfect example of the absurdity that sometimes surrounds authenticity. Putting aside the rules which govern inclusion in a guide such as the National Inventory, and instead seeing the beauty and the craftmanship that went into the Trades House Bar, is a timely reminder to appreciate things for what they actually are, rather than what we would like them to be.

With this in mind I am looking forward to visiting Dresden, possibly later this year, as it is a city I have always wanted to see for myself. Its phoenix-like, rebirth from the ashes, is a symbol of reconciliation and reconstruction, following the brutality of war, and I look forward to experiencing the beauty of the restored “Florence of the Elbe.”

T'other Paul said...

Able only to comment on the Dresden fourteen miles north of me - and a marvellous pint of Draught Bass on the Sir Robert Peel last year - I can only learn about the better known German one from those who travel further from home that myself.
A National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors has to be that as anyone interested in history who bought the book, travelled fifty miles and then realised they were in a ten year old recreation of a century old pub would rightly complain and jeopardise the credibility of the Pub Heritage Group which does a valuable job in helping save some rare and remarkable treasures.
I'm not sure what is meant by the "absurdity that sometimes surrounds authenticity" but aren't aware of criticism of proper craftmanship being used to reproduce buildings little different from those of centuries ago, as long as those premises aren't then dishonestly claimed to be ancient.
Humphrey hasn't scrimped on refurbishing his pubs, especially in London, with a remarkable attention to detail while Black Country Ales have done a decent job creating houses reminiscent of several decades ago and I expect most of us would prefer either of those to being in an overtly modern pub or one filled by a Shropshire brewer with incongruous fixtures and assorted tat.
They lost the war but think Germany might have done better than us at reconstruction since 1945.

Dave said...

My wife and I were in Dresden for five nights last year. Lovely city. I know you read the same beer sites that I do so I won't do a lot of recommendations. One place I did not see written about that we really enjoyed was this one; https://www.schillergarten.de/de/ A very authentic beer garden by the river. Well worth the 20 minute tram ride. A very eclectic mix of people. All ages and types. I do believe we were the only tourists.

Paul Bailey said...

A Dresden in the UK? I had to look that one up. Yes, Humphrey has done some excellent refurbishment work on quite a few of his pubs, especially some of the London ones, as you rightly point out.

retiredmartin said...

There's a Dresden in Stoke, and a Rhodesia near Worksop (and a Wales) and probably a Royal Tunbridge Wells in Germany. Or possibly not.

I'm upset you didn't like our Industrial Museum, but I suspect your motivation to whizz through it was the excellent beer Will and I were drinking at the end.

Any other foreign travel coming up with the firm ?

T'other Paul said...

It's Dundee again for the 2024 AGM so it'll be the Forth and Tay Bridges, Autovacs, an evening in Broughty Ferry and a night in Edinburgh on the way home again fifteen months from now.

Paul Bailey said...

Hi Martin & Stafford Paul, apologies for the late replies, it's been a busy time at work - and I'm supposed to be semi-retired!

You are correct about the Industrial Museum Martin, another time then I would perhaps have lingered longer, but as with all these places, there's a danger of becoming bogged-down by the minutiae. Also, with the opportunity of a spot of al fresco drinking, on a lovely May morning, then I'm afraid the museum rather lost out.

I read somewhere Paul, that the CAMRA AGM was returning to Dundee next year - something about the conference venue being the cheapest in both northern England and Scotland. Train travel is definitely the way to go, especially as my colleague and I probably spent more time at the airports, than we did in the air.

It's Cologne again, for the business foreign travel. This will be my sixth visit to the city, on behalf of the firm, and whilst I'd prefer a different destination, there are still a handful of Kolsch outlets I'd like to experience.