Sunday 8 August 2021

A welcome return to the Rock

After bemoaning the lack of any pub visits in my last post, I finally managed to squeeze in a couple during the past three days. Before describing them, I’m pleased to report that both visits restored my faith in public houses and demonstrated their resilience in being able to bounce back, after an unprecedented 14-month period, where trade was either severely restricted at best, or not allowed at all.

The latter state was actually the norm for much of the pandemic, so it is doubly encouraging to find pubs once again trading strongly. So, starting with the first pub, which is an absolute cracker, and one that has long been a favourite of mine; even if it is one that I only visit infrequently.

The Rock at Chiddingstone Hoath is an old drover’s inn, which has retained many original features. It is close to 500 years old and is so named because it is close to one of several rocky outcrops, which are a feature of this remote corner of Kent. Chiddingstone Hoath is a small, isolated settlement, consisting of a few houses, plus the pub, huddled together on a high sandstone plateau, to the south of the River Eden, in an area known as the High Weald.

The Rock is centuries old, and this is reflected in both the exterior and interior of the building. It has been lovingly cared for over the years, and the recent alterations have only enhanced this. I have known the pub for 30 years plus, and despite its remote location have tried to visit it whenever possible.

Three decades ago, it belonged to Whitbread, but when that company ceased brewing, and started selling off its pubs, the Rock became a free house. For a number of years afterwards, it was leased to local brewery Larkin's, who brew just down the road, on the edge of Chiddingstone village, but it has since reverted to being a free house once again, and a popular and flourishing one at that.

I mentioned that I have tried to visit the Rock as often as possible, especially as it is only a short drive from Chiddingstone Causeway; the village where I work, but looking back at my records, my last visit was in February 2018.  The pandemic meant that no visits were possible until quite recently, and I was prompted to rectify the situation when I received news of a prolonged road closure.

Starting this coming Tuesday, the busy B2027 Tonbridge-Edenbridge Road, that runs past my workplace, will be closed for a period of at least 10 weeks, to allow the replacement of a major water main. Fortunately, the block on traffic movement is just to the west of the factory, so my journey to work will be unaffected, but colleagues travelling from the opposite direction will have a lengthy diversion to contend with, that will add at least 20 minutes to their drive in to work.

The closure also rules out any chance of a lunchtime visit, so with this in mind it made sense to pay the Rock a visit, whilst it was still possible. Consequently, last Thursday evening, I left the office just after 5pm, jumped in the car, and drove up to the Rock. My route took me down and across the River Eden - little more than a large stream really, and then up past Larkin's Brewery. The road then begins to climb more steeply, through woodland and then up towards the High Weald.

Unfortunately, like most of the past couple of weeks, the rain began just as I was walking up to the car, and by the time I arrived at the Rock, it was falling steadily at an intensity that precluded taking all but the most basic of photos of the exterior. The same applied to the interior too, as with just myself, the barmaid, plus a single customer and his dog, I felt rather self-conscious about snapping away with my phone. For this reason, the majority of the photos, used to illustrate this post, were taken on previous visits.

The door was open when I arrived, and the aforementioned dog rushed out to greet me. I recognised its owner, who was sitting at the bar, as a local character that I have seen quite a few times, in the Greyhound at Charcott. After a quick “Good evening,” the barmaid asked me what drink I would like. I noticed that alongside local favourite Larkin’s Traditional, beer from Dark Star and Long Man breweries, were also available.

I naturally opted for the Larkin’s, and not only was it in excellent condition, it was also keenly priced at just £3.40 a pint. According to the chap sat at the bar, who was drinking Guinness btw, that is at least a pound cheaper than most other local outlets. He consequently warned me off several of them, although I won’t repeat them here. The barmaid too was friendly and chatty, expressing her excitement, and sharing some of her concerns, about going back to university, at the end of next month, for the start of her second year.

For me it was just good being able to stand at the bar, chatting, without being instructed to check in and sit down, and without the need for screens, masks, and hand sanitiser. In short, it was just like old times and almost as though the pandemic had never happened. 

The character at the bar, brought us back to earth by reminding us that it might not quite be over yet, but I think that, whilst this is something most of us are aware of, we all want to savour moments such as these, when Covid seems an inconvenient and unpleasant memory.

To end, here are a few general observations about the character of the Rock, and its customers. The pub’s bare brick floor, its large wood-burning stove and the unusual “Ringing the Bull” game, are part and parcel of what gives this pub its unique character. Being a rural pub, the Rock obviously attracts country folk, but they are proper work-a-day country people, rather than the "green Wellington brigade." The floor of worn bricks means that muddy boots, and equally muddy dogs are welcome.

This mix of proper country folk, along with perhaps some of the more moneyed folk, who live locally and enjoy letting their hair down, contributes much to the appeal of this “proper country pub,” and long may this continue.


6 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Yes, it's that mix of folk, moneyed and not, young and old, that I want in a pub, not just a lot of handpumps. The Rock was lovely on my visit.

Oh, and nice use of map at the top !

Greengrass said...

You were lucky to find The Rock open, its only started opening on Wed. & Thurs. evenings from last week. Fri. Sat & Sun were as normal.
I've mentioned in the past about the fine pubs never mentioned in the the awards dished out by the campaigners, The Rock, Kentish Horse, Greyhound ( at Hever ), The Spotted dog & The Henry the 8th ( outside the tourist season ) are all good pubs within a short distance of each other. There are three others nearby that are continually being lauded but are a long way short of the professional standards ( beer not food ) of the afore mentioned pubs. I would suggest these are stocking too many beers that are not being sold Quickly enough & therefore are not in peak condition, also these beers are often produced by inexperienced chancers. That's a bit strong but I feel quite strongly about micro outlets easing out our traditional beers by under pricing.
The customer that you mention is very well informed about local pubs but not to be taken too seriously, the ones that you were warned off are possibly ones where he is not welcome.
The beer in The Rock is always Perfect & has been for the past 65 years to my knowledge, Perhaps Bob Dockerty ( Larkins Brewery ) drinking in there has something to do with it.
As an after thought perhaps the campaigners should stick to awarding their usual dreary outlets, I would hate to see The Rock change & start serving gimmick beers.



Paul Bailey said...

The Rock is definitely a proper pub, Martin. Glad you enjoyed your visit. There are some good walks in the vicinity as well.

I shall make sure that the sun is shining the next time I call though, as I still haven’t managed to see the re-vamped garden that is tucked away behind the pub.

Britain Beermat said...

£3.40 for a pint in Kent!! That's magnificent...a couple of good looking pubs there again Paul..Kent seems to have an inexhaustible supply

Paul Bailey said...

Our comments seem to have almost crossed, time-wise Greengrass, but I did do my homework prior to my visit. The Rock doesn’t have a website, at the moment, but has an Instagram account instead. That’s not a lot of use to me, but it was work colleagues who told me about the pub’s change in opening times.

I agree that the pubs you mentioned, are all excellent boozers that are well worth a visit, but I wouldn’t take too much notice of what the “campaigners” – CAMRA? say. I am no longer a member of said organisation, after cancelling my subscription, back in November 2019. That was after almost 45 years continuous membership.

There were many reasons behind my decision, but when it came to GBG selection, the pursuit of quantity over quality, in terms of number of beers stocked, figured quite highly on the list. The campaign’s obsession with the ever-increasing number of new breweries, at the expense of existing ones, hasn’t helped either – as you rightly point out.

Many in CAMRA seem oblivious to these faults and fail to see the connection between too much choice and poor quality. The latter has always been cask’s Achille’s heel, but unfortunately it remains the elephant in the room, for many CAMRA branches.

Finally, thanks for the heads-up about the character I mentioned. As the only other customer in the bar, I was a something of a sitting duck, but I still enjoyed our conversation, and the chance to do so, whilst standing at the bar made it doubly worthwhile.

Paul Bailey said...

A pint for under £4 in this part of Kent, is sadly the exception rather than the rule, BeerMat, so £3.40 for the Larkin’s was very welcome indeed.

There are some excellent rural pubs hidden away in the High Weald, as Greengrass has already confirmed, and I will try and squeeze in a few more of them, on my way home, now that the pressure of work has eased off.