Friday 20 August 2021

Spotted Dog - best intentions

Three and a half months after saying that I’d visit the Spotted Dog, near Penshurst, I finally called in for a swift half. I was on my way home from work, and the half should have been a pint, but you know the scene – a couple of colleagues wanted my opinion on an issue that was causing them a spot of trouble.

Despite my protestations that I had to rush off (I didn’t let on that I was heading for the pub), they pressed me for an answer. As it happened, we decided the issue could wait until the following day, but in the meantime, I’d wasted nearly 10 minutes of valuable drinking time!

The reason for me rushing - I was due to collect young master Matthew from work at 5.50pm, so there was only a small window of opportunity for a visit to the Spotted Dog.  As things turned out, I made it to the pub just after 5.15pm, parked the car and then headed inside. 

The door was open, and I appeared to be the only customer. The Perspex screens were still in place in front of the bar, but I had an uninterrupted
view of the hand pumps.  The selection was Larkin’s Traditional, Harvey’s Sussex Best along with the brewer’s seasonal offer for summer – Olympia. The latter, which is the brewery’s attempt at a golden ale, is my least favourite Harvey’s beer, so I opted for the Sussex Best and as stated earlier, a half at that!

Martin would have been proud of me, I thought, given his predilection for popping in for a “swift half” and another GBG tick, but slightly embarrassed I explained to the barmaid that because I had to be in Tonbridge in 20 minutes, I only had time for a half. She probably couldn’t have cared less, but as a serious pub man of many years standing, I do normally like to start the session off with a pint!

I took my beer outside and annoyingly, it was in tip-top condition and worth at least a 4, and probably a 4.5 NBSS. Shortly afterwards a couple turned up, entered the pub, and inquired about food. With the door and windows open, I could hear the entire conversation which resulted in the pair being told that the kitchen wouldn’t be re-opening until 6pm, but would they like a drink while they waited?

The woman expressed her disappointment at having to wait 35 minutes, and told the bar staff, plus her companion, that she was hungry so they would have to go elsewhere.  I wondered whether they headed up to the Bottle House instead, if they knew where it was, whilst at the same time shaking my head at the impatience of those who expect, and often demand, instant gratification.

I drank up and left too, but not before returning my empty glass and commenting as to how good the Harvey’s had been. I drove back via to Tonbridge, via Penshurst and Bidborough, eyeing up the Leicester Arms and the Kentish Hare respectively, as possible pubs to stop off at for a pint on the way home.

I stated at the beginning that I’d waited three and a half months before calling in at this lovely old inn, and this relates to a post written by prolific blogger and dedicated GBG ticker, Retired Martin – usually referred to as RM.

Back in April, and not long after pubs re-opened (for outdoor table service only), Martin and his good lady wife, usually referred to as Mrs RM, enjoyed an overnight stay, in their camper-van at the car park of the Spotted Dog. Spurred on, and encouraged by their visit, I posted a comment on Martin’s blog that read, I had every intention of a fleeting lunchtime visit to the Spotted Dog, but the best laid plans and all that!”

I of course, had every intention of making a visit, but little did I think it would be 14 weeks before I set foot inside the pub. Well despite my short visit I am pleased that I made the effort, especially as the Spotted Dog is a pub, I’ve always had a soft spot for.

Smart’s Hill consists of a few rows of houses sited on high ground overlooking the River Medway, to the south of Penshurst. Somewhat unusually, for such a rural part of the county, Smart’s Hill has a second pub, known as the Bottle House, situated further up the hill from its neighbour, and in an even more isolated location.

Because of their situation, both pubs rely heavily on the food trade but of the two, I would say the Spotted Dog retains much more of a “pubby” atmosphere. I have written about the pub on several previous occasions, but to recap, the Spotted Dog, is a 15th century white weather boarded country inn that seems to cling to the hillside. It lies below the level of the road and is a long low building with a terraced garden area between the pub and the road.

The bar is right in front of the main entrance, in what is the narrowest, and most congested part of the pub, but the building opens out to the right, where there is a larger open area, heated by a welcoming log burning stove in winter. There is also a small “snug” area, just in front of the window. The main restaurant area is at the opposite end of the building.

The Spotted Dog’s popularity is evidenced by the large car park, just across the road, but despite the importance of the car-borne trade, many people do make the effort to walk here.  I too have done so on several past occasions and intend to again in the future.

 

 

2 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I thought "that pub looks familiar" bit it wasn't till you mentioned I remembered we'd wild camped there !

Glad you had such a good beer, and that you took your glass back. Excellent behaviour.

I also think it's polite to pass a comment to the bar staff, even if they couldn't care less. It just shows you recognise there's a human being in front of you !

Paul Bailey said...

Martin, I agree 100% with your last comment. It’s often a thankless task working at the front end in hospitality, so why not spread a little happiness where and when you can?

Good manners cost nothing, and you never know you might just brighten up someone’s day.