Saturday 12 September 2020

Time to play catch-up

I’m coming to the end of a relaxing and most enjoyable week off work, during which I’ve managed to pack quite a lot in. The week began with a trip up to Norfolk, to visit my father, and included an overnight stop in King’s Lynn.

Returning to Kent, I completed a minor construction project in the garden, as well as catching up with some much overdue, home-admin type of stuff. “Look after my bills,” as seen on “Dragon’s Den,” have found me a deal that reduces my combined gas and electricity bills by around £30 a month and was quite painless to sign up for. I’ve also re-activated my Dartford Crossing account, which UK. Gov suspended due to lack of use. This was despite it still being in credit!

I managed, eventually, to get a quick peep inside the recently re-opened Ivy House in Tonbridge, and this morning it was bacon rolls and coffee for breakfast, courtesy of the good folk at Tonbridge Old Fire Station.  The takeaway breakfast was in honour of Mrs PBT’s who celebrates a significant birthday today, and the celebrations continued this afternoon, with a visit from her sister and her niece.

So, tea and cake in the garden, plus a family chat-up, and we still didn’t exceed Commissar Hancock’s guidelines, that are due to come in to force on Monday. Tomorrow, we’ll be meeting up with Eileen’s brother and his partner, at a pub overlooking Minnis Bay which, according to my map, is between Reculver and Birchington.

Finally, there’s a further stretch of the North Down’s Way that I walked on Thursday. In perfect walking weather I covered the 10 miles from Kit’s Coty, at the bottom of Blue Bell Hill, to the village of Cuxton, on the west bank of the River Medway. My journey took me through some classic downland countryside, and then across the Medway Viaducts, by means of a foot and cycleway that runs parallel with the M2 motorway. Some great views, if you can ignore the roar of the traffic!

I’ve still to write an account of my journey, and the same applies to a walk I undertook last Bank Holiday Monday, with four friends. The walk took in two rather good pubs, with some equally good scenery in between. 

So, plenty left to write about, but probably not enough time to accomplish this before my return to work on Monday.

 

 

3 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Bacon rolls and coffee, proper blogging !

Mrs RM's parents also had their Dartcharge account due to inactivity. What can possibly have happened this year to reduce journeys ?

Incidentally, I can't remember the last time I met in a group of more than six, unsociable sod that I am.

Paul Bailey said...

The last time I met with a group of six other people was the Proper Day Out to Burton, a couple of weeks before the start of the lock-down.

Much like yourself, this unenforceable ruling is unlikely to affect me; it's people with large and extended families that will be hardest hit.

There's no cohesion or conformity either, as the magic number six includes children in England, but they are excluded in Wales and Scotland.

John Anderson said...

I like how to said about "Time to play catch-up"
Maybe, you want to check it out also---> Alanon Meeting Online
I hope it helps..