Monday 27 July 2020

Contactless and seamless at the Nelson

Things must be looking up as I managed to use a Contact-Tracing App for the first time on Sunday. I'd called in, on a whim, to the Nelson Arms in Tonbridge, in the full knowledge that whilst that the pub encourages pre-booking and table reservations, I might still be able to squeeze in a cheeky pint.

I fully understand the requirement for groups to pre-book, given the restraints on space and the necessity of “social distancing” (boy do I hate that phrase),  but as someone who has spent the past 47 years just popping into a pub when I fancy a beer, this really goes against the grain. With this in mind I decided to try my luck and see whether fortune smiled on me or not.

Fortunately, lady luck was on my side that day, although by the time anyone appeared to greet me upon entering the pub, I’d already scanned the QR Code and registered my details, all online. What’s more the App seamlessly connected me to the Nelson’s Wi-Fi, meaning I could surf the net, as well as check in on Untappd.

It was pub landlord Matt who greeted me, on what was my first visit since the pub re-opened. I’d called in on several occasions during lockdown, to buy the odd takeaway container of cask, but Matt and his team had made a few alterations since then. Whilst waiting for someone to appear I sanitised my hands and perused the short list of Covid-complaint rules, pinned up for all to see. Foolishly I didn’t take any photos, but I’m sure you know the score by now.

I informed Matt I only wanted a quick pint. This was fine by him and he showed me to a vacant high table, immediately opposite the bar. This was even better as I could see what beers were available from the row of hand-pumps lined up on the bar. I opted for a pint of Yankee from Rooster’s Brewery and Matt brought it over to me, on a tray. Contactless card payment followed and at just £3.60, I enjoyed my cheapest post-lockdown pint, and the only one so far at below the four-pound price mark!

Being close to the bar I was able to chat to Matt without breaking any rules, so it was almost like old times. There weren’t that many people int the pub, although there was a group of six occupying the alcove, just along from me. There were possibly several others sitting around the corner, but I thought I ought to remain seated rather than going for a look.

This also meant I didn’t get to see the garden, which I understand had been a great hit with the regulars, especially during the recent spells of sunny weather. I will have to drag my son down there later in the week, so we can see for ourselves. If I’m honest, the Yankee wasn’t the best pint I’ve had since re-opening, and this might be due to there being six cask ales on sale.

This small grip aside, I was good to sit inside a pub for only the second time since March, as on all other post-lockdown pub visits, I’ve sat in the garden. Long may this trend continue!

 

No comments: