Thursday 9 July 2020

A few reflective, mid-week thoughts

These are certainly strange times that we’re living through; unprecedented – certainly in modern times and full of paradoxes.  The situation we’re in at present is also incredibly frustrating and whilst I’ve been saying to people, "be patient," my own patience has worn a little thin.

The news that the nation’s pubs are open at last, is of little use to those, like me, who are still working for a living and the fact that despite orders being down we’re still incredibly busy, is yet another example of a frustrating paradox.

I’ve only managed one pub visit since last weekend, and whilst I intend to make up for this tomorrow, I’m still mighty envious of those whose surfeit of leisure time allows them to go off galivanting around the country once more. So, after all that time spent twiddling my thumbs at the start of lock-down, I now find myself too busy to enjoy all that’s on offer, as the economy slowly opens back up.

Right, that’s enough wining, I’m lucky to still have a job, my health is fairly robust and money I would have spent in pubs and restaurants, or blown on trips abroad, is now safely sitting in the bank. In addition, I will hit state retirement age next April, so perhaps it will then be time to wave goodbye to the world of work – at least on a full-time basis.

There’s no getting away though that, like many others the world over, the current pandemic has knocked my travel plans for six this year, but there will still be time enough once all this is over. For tens of thousands of others, Corona has done far worse than disrupt holiday plans, and it’s important to remember all those who sadly, didn’t make it.

I’m certain that the pandemic and ensuing lock-down, has also caused large numbers of people to reflect upon what they’re doing with their lives, the type of lifestyle they are living and what plans they might have for the future.  The shutdown has also been good for the environment as well, and it’s been good to reconnect with nature, during this time.

That’s all I’ve got to say for the time being. If all goes to plan I’ll have another reopened pub to report on tomorrow, but until then, bye for now!

3 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I keep looking at the first photo of the bear in the chair and thinking "That Paul has let himself go".

I look forward to your reports from pubs shortly. It's a new world.

Paul Bailey said...

Depending on your point of view, I’m in need of a haircut, but I haven’t quite reached the same sloth-like state as that bear!

Definitely a new world out there Martin, but if it allows pubs to trade successfully, and safely, through the remainder of this pandemic, then it can only be a good thing.

Britain Beermat said...

I look forward to hearing about your pub visits pal....you can still sit in a pub and have a laugh ��