Thursday 2 April 2020

Looking back to 10 years ago


They say nostalgia’s not what it used to be, but I’m not so sure.  After threatening to write a piece about my one and only visit to the Isle of Man – which incidentally took place almost 10 years ago, I found myself looking back at several posts I’d written from around that time.  

Apart from a paucity of photos, I was pleasantly surprised at what I’d written back in the early days of the blog, and keeping in mind this was a decade ago now, I  ended up asking myself, did I really write that?

I will be working on my IOM piece from tomorrow, once I’ve finished my work for the week, but here’s a quick flavour of what was on my mind back in April 2010.

A short preliminary piece about my forthcoming Manx excursion; a trip I was obviously looking forward to.

A lengthy piece about beer ticking, which ended with me urging CAMRA to split the “Breweries Section" off from the Good Beer Guide and make it a separate publication.

10 years on and CAMRA is still stuffing the back of its premier publication with irrelevant  and surplus information, which can be found elesewhere, if necessary.

A write-up of that year’s Good Friday Ramble – an annual walk organised by Maidstone CAMRA. Sadly, there won’t be a ramble this coming Good Friday; the first time in over 41 years that the event has been cancelled.

That year's ramble took us to the Bell & Jorrocks, (Bell and Bollocks?), in Frittenden - a village which is well off the beaten track.

A review of some random bottles beers I’d drunk, recently - some of the prices will make you envious!

And finally, a lengthy article about one of my favourite beers – Harvey’s Sussex Best.  A beer I've known and loved over the years and always end up going back to.

It's a beer with that perfect balance between sweet juicy malt, and an earthy, peppery hop bitterness. At 4.0% abv, it's just the right strength for a good session's drinking, being full-bodied but not too strong in alcohol.

The links are all there, so why not indulge yourselves in a spot of nostalgia.

Cheers!

2 comments:

retiredmartin said...

Interesting to look back 10 years and remember I wasn't on Twitter and didn't have a blog. In fact I wasn't reading any pub blogs on line back then, though I was a big fan of Pub Curmudgeon's piece in Stockport's CAMRA magazine.

In fact, I was still using my digital camera to take photos, though sadly rarely inside pubs.

Life changes quickly. Unless you live in Maidenhead.

Paul Bailey said...

I purchased a digital camera around five years ago, and yes whilst it took higher quality photos, it was still something extra to have to carry around.

Despite it being housed in a pouch which threaded onto my belt, it was still a pain and didn't allow for much in the way of spontaneity. By the time I'd retrieved the camera from its pouch, the moment had been lost.

Five years on, and the quality of many phone cameras has probably surpassed my little Nikon Coolpix.