Friday 2 January 2009

Dereham Norfolk - 28th December 2008




As I mentioned in my last post I was planning to visit Norfolk between Christmas and New Year, for a short family get together. This took place, with me travelling up last Sunday, and once all the formalities of family greetings, exchanges of presents and a good post Christmas meal had been dispensed with I checked into the very pleasant and centrally situated Hill House Hotel in Dereham, before hitting the town. My drinking buddy for the night was Ernie, my American brother-in-law, who has been staying over for Christmas and New Year, along with my sister and nephew.

I met Ernie in the Good Beer Guide-listed George Hotel, which alongside Woodfordes Wherry had Bitter, Broadside and Tally-Ho on offer, all from Adnams. Making a mental note to leave sampling the Tally-Ho until later in the evening we tried the Wherry plus the Adnams Bitter, both of which were in fine form.

Despite my initial reluctance to leave the George, Ernie wanted to try a couple of other pubs in the town. With this in mind we made the short walk along the High Street to the Bull. Although a Greene King pub it did have the seasonal Rocking Rudolph on offer. This former Hardy & Hanson brew was pleasant enough, but to my mind at least, nothing particularly special.

Not caring much for the language of some of the younger clientele in the Bull, we adjourned to the King's Head, despite the warning of the barmaid at the Bull that it was a bit pricy. Although primarily a hotel bar it did have St Austell Tribute on offer, and the barmaid even changed the barrel for us; the old one being on its last legs.

A couple of pints here saw us heading back to the George where, despite our previous intentions we elected to give the Tally-Ho a miss. The other two Adnams beers were both excellent though, so the evening ended on a high note.

The next day, after breakfasting with the American branch of my family, I made a brief lunchtime visit to my parents' house at nearby Swanton Morley, before setting off to drive back to Kent.

I would have liked the chance to enjoy a few beers at the Angel in Swanton Morley, which is an excellent pub, but drinking and driving are obviously not a good combination, so I will have to save that particular treat for another time. As for the pubs in Dereham the George was by far the best of the three which we visited the previous night, and fully deserves its listing in the Good Beer Guide.

1 comment:

Paul Garrard said...

I hope the Tribute was good?
It's one of my all time favourite ales.