Tuesday 16 July 2024

Putting people in the picture, and getting things back in context

Some of you might remember that for a period of approximately two years I hosted my own website called, Paul's Beer Travels. It was a self-hosted site, which meant that, unlike Google's Blogger, I had to pay an annual fee to a company (Bluehost, in my case), just to host the site. I also had to pay an initial fee to register the site's name, and then pay an annual renewal fee.

The platform I chose was WordPress.org,  a self-hosted website, where the originator has full control over the layout, appearance, and general theme of the site, as well as being responsible for the creative content. WordPress.org, was not the most intuitive of software, and it certainly couldn't be described as “user friendly,”  in fact it was hard work. It was also a duplication of effort, although to be fair, the majority of the articles were lengthier, and went into much more detail than those on the blog. 

Crunch time came two years ago when, faced with renewal fees of over £500, I decided to pull the plug on the website. And there, things might have ended, because once the hosting lapsed, so did the site itself, along with the entire content, so that's copy, photos and countless hours of racking my brain for ideas, and then bashing it all out on my computer keyboard. Fortunately, before everything disappeared into the ether, I painstakingly copied and saved the entire content of the website, onto my hard-drive. That's 34 articles in total and all fortunately, saved for posterity. 

So, from time to time I intend to reproduce some of those articles, here on the blog, and this particularly  applies at times, such as at present, when I find myself too tired and too tied up to come up with much in the way of original content. Keep an eye out then, for the first of these posts, which is a look back at Nuremberg, the second largest city in the state of Bavaria, and a place I wouldn't mind being back in at this particular moment of time. 



2 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I'd be quite happy to be back in Nuremmberg with you, Paul. Last trip 2016.

Paul Bailey said...

The year before Martin, I was in Nuremberg with Erlanger Nick, enjoying a few beers at Fränkisches Bierfest. Still one of the best beer festivals I have been to, proving that the Germans know a thing or two about hosting such events.

There’s plenty to see and do in the city as well, that isn’t beer related, and for the morbidly curious, it’s worth a trip out to the Reichsparteitagsgelände, where the Nazi party held its rallies, before the start of WWII. (These former parade grounds were getting ready to host a Metallica concert, when I visited!)