Wednesday 1 November 2023

Carry on cruising - a further retrospective post from onboard ship

Spoiler alert, I wrote the bulk of this post whilst on board ship but was unable to publish it due to the Wi-fi and internet problems I encountered. I had almost forgotten about it, but then, after seeing a request from a cruise-news hungry commentator, I dug out the laptop, polished the rough edges away from the post, and added the finishing touches. Just reading what I wrote, brings back happy memories of a relaxing time afloat, and it isn’t hard to close my eyes, drift off and imagine I was back on the Queen Victoria, as she made her way through the clear blue crystal waters of the Mediterranean.  

Why not allow your imagination to transport you too, as you settle back in your chair and dream of bright blue, cloudless skies, whilst a warming sea breeze, that has blown all the way from Africa, transports you away from a damp, soggy and decidedly stormy late October-early November, English autumnal day. So read on and see what you think.

Our cruise around the Mediterranean has taken us to variety of different places, and when it is over, we will have visited Spain, Greece + three of its islands, Italy (Sardinia), and Portugal. So far, we have been blessed with perfect Mediterranean weather, although that could of course, change when we head back out into the Atlantic and begin our homeward journey across the notorious Bay of Biscay. The latter has a reputation for stormy weather, but as I sit here typing this post, looking out across the perfectly flat and calm waters, coloured an intense cobalt blue, it’s hard to imagine the storms that could potentially lie ahead on our journey back to blighty.

It's the perfect way to travel, and I can’t tell you just how relaxing it is, sitting up on the top deck, with a choice of either a sunny or a shady position, and just watching the ocean slipping by, as the ship glides serenely through the azure blue ocean. Whether it’s that novel you always promised yourself you’d read, typing up a blog, such as this, watching a film, either in the theatre or in the comfort of your cabin, attending a lecture – also in the theatre, there’s plenty one can do in order to while away the time.

On Friday morning I attended a really entertaining talk from legendary cricket commentator, Henry “Blowers” Blofeld, who had the whole audience in stitches with his tales from the commentary box. His recollections of fellow commentators John Arlott and Brian Johnston, themselves both proper characters in their own right, were also packed full of memorable moments. What was particularly notable, was the way that “Blowers” delivered his talk, without the use of notes, without hesitating, or being lost for words. Apparently, Henry has two more talks to give during our return voyage to Southampton, so I shall definitely be booking myself a front row seat.

There have been other speakers as well, including a veteran British Airways and former Concorde pilot. Coincidentally, the ex-air stewardess, we met earlier, said that she knew this individual, and had flown with him in the past. Also, on the “public speaking” team, was veteran newsreader Peter Snow, accompanied by his wife Ann MacMillan. Peter Snow seemed nowhere near as accomplished in the art of public speaking as “Blowers,” although to be fair I only watched part of his talk on the TV, in our cabin. 

There are plenty of other activities include watercolour painting, fencing, dancing (various types, all of which mean little to me), keep fit, and quiz nights. I have been keeping myself by walking as much as possible, either by laps around the promenade deck, or by using the stairs rather than the lifts, wherever possible. Three laps around the deck are equivalent to one mile, whilst for lightweights, two laps equal one kilometre. As far as decks are concerned, there are 12 in total, although the top two are for the first-class Princess & Queens Grill passengers, as opposed to the rest of us, whilst the lower Deck (A), is where the medical centre is situated.

Whilst on the subject of medical matters, a passenger was evacuated from the ship, by helicopter, on our first night out of Southampton, and this morning, as we left the ship in Lisbon, we saw another poor lady being stretchered off into a waiting ambulance. She had fractured her leg, after slipping down an external staircase, and no, this isn’t a rumour as three people we have got to know, witnessed the incident.

This brings me onto the demographics of the cruise passengers, and the fact that most of them appear much older than ourselves – and yes, that is possible! I’m not certain why this should be, as the four previous cruises we’ve been on have all contained a wide spread of different age groups. The only explanation I can think of is, that just under three weeks, the duration of this particular voyage precludes most people employed in a typical 9 to 5 position. The majority of companies place a two-week maximum period of leave on their employees, for obvious logistical and operational reasons, and so, unless one is retired, or like me just working part time. I was fortunate to have been granted a three-week break, although I gave nearly six months’ notice, and did so in writing.

One thing to mention, before I sign off, I didn’t manage anywhere near the amount of reading that I had planned, and this was down to several factors, that included writing this blog. We also made friends with quite a few other fellow cruisers, thanks in no small way to Mrs PBT’s, who palled up with a diverse crowd of nicotine addicts, up in the “smoking area” on Deck 10. It would have been rather churlish of me to have sat there, with my nose stuck in a book, rather than joining in the conversation.

There is another reason though, and it’s one that cropped up on last year’s Norwegian cruise. You see, my good lady wife thinks I am boring if read, rather than spend time talking to her. I wouldn’t mind so much if she wasn’t the person with her eyes glued to the TV when we’re at home, but since when did logic or consistency ever form part of the female psyche? I shan’t say anymore, even though she rarely, if ever, clicks onto this blog, but you never know!!

 

 

7 comments:

Stafford Paul said...

Paul,
"former Concorde pilot" reminds me of Brian Trubshaw who gave me a signed photo of the plane when I met him at work.

Mrs VC said...

Bit sexist there I think about us ladies and Mrs. PBT.

I keep my eyes on Volvo at all times, and I would advise Mrs PBT to check this blog on a regular basis.

(anyone interested in holding an Ann Summers party let me know. Trying to earn some money for our cruise)

Volvo Cruiser said...

Nice article Chief

Ignore Mrs VC, she's puddled.

Also, nobody buy any of her Ann Summers gear, it's knock off.

Paul Bailey said...

Paul, wasn't Brian Trubshaw the original test-pilot on the Concorde project?

Etu said...

I can't thank Henry Blofeld enough.

If ever you want to contradict someone who's been talking absolute, self-evident tripe, then if you begin your response with "My Dear Old Thing", then things generally don't turn too nasty.

If I'd only remembered my own advice, then I perhaps wouldn't be barred from that place four pubs ago...

Stafford Paul said...

Paul,
Yes he was.

retiredmartin said...

I miss Blowers on Test Match Special.