Wednesday 17 May 2023

There's more to this blog than meets the eye - or keeping out of mischief!

 

There doesn't seem to have been much happening locally on the beer front, which perhaps points to the fact that I need to get out more. I've done the topic of the weather to death so as far as going places is concerned, which means I can't really hide behind that excuse anymore. I can though, hide behind the fact that I've been quite busy doing stuff in the garden, admittedly a pretty boring topic to all those not interested in plants and growing things, but fortunately it's reached the stage now where there's not too much left to do.

Apart from equally boring stuff, like being busy at work, and getting my car serviced there hasn’t been much else going on, and whilst last Friday's bus trip to Goudhurst proved a welcome break, the lack of things going on has meant there’s been precious little to write about. This coming Friday, there was supposed to be a CAMRA organised bus outing to Groombridge and Langton, but for some reason, best known to the organisers, the trip has been postponed.

One thing that has been keeping me busy, and has been going on quietly in the background, are the pages I’ve been adding to this blog. When I say “pages” I mean exactly that, as unlike “posts,” pages don't come with dates attached to them. They are, in effect, static content, a timeless entity if you like; whereas posts are dynamic content that gets added to regularly. For want of a better description posts are the site author’s regularly updated blog entries.

That’s the technical stuff out of the way, so how did this all come about, and where on this site can the pages be found? Well, there are only four of them at this point in time, and apart from the introductory page, which is all about me, the others cover topics such as drinking abroad, different beer styles, and a couple of interesting cities I’ve visited. In the main, the copy has been sourced from my now defunct, WordPress website – Paul’s Beer Travels, as when I decided not to continue with the site, I took the precaution of saving the vast majority of the articles I’d written. I did this, before the web host I was using, took the site down, and fortunately there was a period of grace between me cancelling my subscription and the hosting company pulling the plug.

It took a significant amount of time saving, all the articles I’d written as Word documents, but the effort involved, paled into insignificance when compared to the time it would have taken to re-write everything from scratch. Furthermore, if I had attempted a total re-write, the newly created stuff wouldn’t have matched the original. It might have been better, but that was not a chance I was willing to take. Besides, I’ve got far better things to do with my time, even if that does include the odd spot of digging, weeding, planting, or pruning!

As for finding this material on the site, that’s easy, just look in the top left-hand corner of the blog, immediately below the banner heading, and adjacent to the topmost post. There you will find a non-descript sub-heading which says “PAGES.” Click on any of the titles below, apart from the top one which says “Home,” and straight away you will be directed to the appropriate page. Clicking on “home” will direct you back to the main blog.

As with the normal blog posts, you can comment on the pages, although to date no one has done so. As time goes on, I plan to add further pages, and will also explore ways of making the section stand out more than it does at present, so why not take a closer look and get clicking!

 

No comments: