Saturday 10 July 2021

A quiet Monday at the Nelson

When I mentioned in passing, to a couple of my work colleagues that I was meeting up with a friend for a few drinks, last Monday evening, the comment was, “Not on a school night, surely?” My answer was, "Why, not?” and why not indeed, as leaving aside the fact that Monday represents the first day back at work, for most working people, it is a day that is little different to most others. 

Granted, it’s not a day for really letting one’s hair down, but I can think of few days better for a few quiet drinks, a natter, and the chance to catch up with an old friend who, because of the pandemic, I hadn’t seen since the start of the new year.

One of my stipulations when arranging this meet up, was a football-free venue, or a night when no Euro 2020 matches would be taking place. So it was my friend who came up with the suggestion of the Nelson Arms, on a Monday. This excellent back-street, community pub has been showing the championship matches, but with none scheduled for that evening, it was the ideal choice and certainly got the thumbs up from me.

I would normally have walked down to the pub, but after it had started raining heavily, the offer of a lift down there, from son Matthew, was too good to turn down. I therefore arrived slightly ahead of my friend, and after giving my contact details (the pointless in an empty pub, as you will find out in a minute), I was sat down at a table, perusing the menu, in full view of the bar.

My friend arrived a couple of minutes after me. He is much more a regular at the Nelson than I am, so was on first name terms with the barmaid. She mentioned that the pub would probably be closing early – around 9.30pm was her guess. We both said that wouldn’t be a problem, particularly for me with work the following morning. My friend is retired, but he did say there he’d had quite a few pub sessions recently and would therefore welcome a relatively early night.

With the formalities out of the way, it was a question of what about the beer? Monday is a sort of “changeover day” at the Nelson, a day when the landlord will run down those beers that are coming to an end, before placing any new ones on sale. This eminently sensible practice not only cuts down on waste, but also ensures beers aren’t left hanging around in the cellar, for too long, so whilst the choice might not have been as extensive as it would have been at the weekend, there were still several excellent beers from us to choose from.

It’s a shame that more landlords don’t follow suit, because when trade is expected to be quiet, like at the beginning of the week, there is little point in having a vast array of beers on offer, especially when there is likely to be just a small number of customers in the pub.  It goes without saying that the clock starts ticking, with regard to shelf life, as soon as a fresh cask is broached, and if you know it is unlikely to sell within a three to four-day period, (due to there already being too many other beers to choose from), there is little point in putting yet another one on sale.

Fortunately, the number of beers on sale, last Monday, was probably just right, and the one I opted for was Cowcatcher, a 4.8% citrusy American Pale Ale from East London Brewing Company. This was followed by Spectra, another pale ale, this time from  Hull-based, Atom Brewery. I ended the evening with a half of Fire Saga, a strong, British-style brown ale from Wild Weather Brewery

During the course of the 90 minutes or so that we were in the pub, no other customers came in. We noticed that the barmaid had finished the re-stocking, facing up and all the other tasks she was engaged with, so we drank up, settled our bills, thanked her for her patience and left the pub. It was still raining, but only slightly – light enough for us to walk home without getting soaked.

We hadn’t gone far though, before the heavens opened, so I decided to take Matthew up on his earlier offer of a lift home. We cut through the back of the railway station, and then I called him from the shelter of the station entrance.  He arrived, like a knight in shining armour, picked us both up, and after dropping my friend off, we arrived home shortly before 10pm.

It was good to see my friend and to have caught up with what had been going on in our respective lives. He has been retired for as long as I have known him, so obviously has a lot more spare time than I do. Time to go out for long country walks, to visit pubs and to spend time away from home – although the pandemic has put paid to that over the past 14 months.

With my planned scale back in work commitments, due to take place in two and a half months’ time, I also will have more time on my hands, and look forward to enjoying similar activities to those currently experienced by my friend.

As for the Nelson, well it was a particularly quiet night, although I am certain it would have been buzzing for last Wednesday’s semi-final match between Denmark and England.  

Finally, two and a half pints was plenty enough for me, especially on a “school night,” and goes to show how the changes in my own drinking habits, brought on by the pandemic and enforced lock-downs, has inadvertently changed the way in which my body responds to alcohol.

2 comments:

retiredmartin said...

How many pints do you think you'd need to have on a "school night" to affect your performance in parenting or working the next day. (asking generally rather than personally, Paul !).

Paul Bailey said...

Hi Martin, I can't really speak for others, but three pints, of an average strength beer c. 4.0%, is fine for me, or a least it was pre-pandemic. My body will tell me that I've "had a drink," but I still function, more or less as normal.

The strange thing is I can drink a lot more than that, when on holiday, but I'm more relaxed then and don't have to get up quite so early, the following morning.