Saturday 5 December 2020

Eat in (and drink in) to help out

 “Eat out to help out,” was the slogan behind the UK government’s scheme to assist the hospitality sector, back in the summer. A sector battered after three months of enforced closure as part of the first national lockdown.

Now, at the start of winter things seem very different and it’s more like a case of eat to be able to buy a drink; but only if, like roughly half of the country, you live in Tier 2. The fortunate few who inhabit Tier 1 (Cornwall and the Isle of Wight, at the moment), can enjoy a pint without having to stuff your face, but the unfortunate residents of Greater Manchester, Leicester and Kent (to name but a few locations), are denied access to pubs, bars and restaurants altogether because of Doris and Hancock’s increasingly haphazard and totally illogical policy.

Forcing pubs to become restaurants, to enable Tier 2 residents to have a pint, has to be one of the most stupid policies ever. I’m stuck in Tier 3, so that “privilege” is denied to me, but even if I lived just a few miles from here, across the border with Tier 2 East Sussex, I still wouldn’t bother.

I enjoy a pub meal, from time to time, but only when a suitable occasion presents itself. I certainly don’t wish to be forced to buy a “substantial meal” in order to enjoy a couple of pints! Whoever dreamt up this lunacy, has probably never set foot inside a proper pub, and probably thinks that the “lower orders” all frequent over-priced and poncy gastropubs in twee country villages.

I therefore, cannot even begin to imagine why they would have come up with such nonsense in the first place, or why government ministers, like that odious little pip-squeak Gove, have the gall to appear on national TV in order to defend it.

In the meantime, hundreds of business and thousands of workers employed in the hospitality sector are being hung out to dry, in order to prevent the spread of a virus that despite a higher mortality rate than seasonal flu, isn’t the Black Death, smallpox or the Spanish Flu. You wouldn’t want to contract Covod-19, even though many people won’t know they’ve had it, but it isn't the "end of days" and shutting down the fifth largest sector of our economy, on the flimsy pretext of protecting the NHS, just doesn’t wash.

Words fail me, but there’s no point in getting angry, because politicians and their increasingly out of touch scientific “special advisors,” just aren’t listening. All those of us who are stuck in Tier 3 can do is support our local pubs and breweries as much as we can, and by that, I mean buy beer and food from them, wherever and as often as possible.

There’s probably a limit to the latter, but I have been doing my own little bit in order to help. The other week I picked up a five-litre mini keg of Porter, from local brewers Larkin’s, and tomorrow I shall be heading down to Fuggles in Tonbridge. They are not allowed to open as a pub, but they can trade as a shop, so I will be looking to pick up a selection of interesting bottled beers to see me into the festering season.

As for the food, well last Sunday, whilst picking up a most welcome cup of coffee from the Chequers in Tonbridge, I noticed an “A” board outside advertising Thursday as "takeaway curry night." They were all chicken, but here was a choice of Tika Masala, Jalfrezi, Madras or Balti. All came with rice, naan plus poppadom and for the princely sum of £5.95 each, sounded an absolute bargain.

I took a photo of the sign, showed it to the family, and the verdict was we should go for it. So, Thursday morning I phoned our order through, with the aim of picking it up at 6.30pm. Come around the back of the pub to collect, said the landlord, so at the allotted time I presented myself at the rear door of the Chequers.

My brief visit seemed almost furtive,
like knocking on the door of a "Speakeasy" in prohibition-era America, yet this was 21st Century Britain. The irony wasn’t lost as, one hundred years on, the UK is in almost the same position as our friends across the Atlantic were a century ago. The reasons might be different (although I’m not sure they are, as there’s an air of false morality associated with both), but the end result is the same.

As I walked back to the car, I passed Tonbridge’s JDW outlet – the Humphrey Bean.  Looking dark and deserted, the posters outside still advertising Spoon’s “Sunak Specials,” once again the irony of the ludicrous situation we find ourselves in, became all too apparent.

The final kick in the teeth, was walking past the local nail bar – face to face contact between technician and client, and although masks and/or face shields were being worn, you can’t tell me such places are more Covid-safe than a pub or restaurant? Obviously, women’s vanity, with regard to their nails, takes precedent over someone desiring a pint of beer, plus a chat with his or her friends. Now where’s the logic in this?

On the plus side, the various curries were enjoyed and eagerly devoured by the Bailey family. Next week we will give the homemade pizzas from the Foresters’ Arms a try. "Eat in to help out" is all we can do at the moment, but the good people of Kent aren’t going to put up with this nonsense for too much longer!

6 comments:

PetesQuiz said...

Excellent piece...I share your despair here in Tier 3 Birmingham!

The only silver lining for me is that I can now do outdoor markets so I'll, hopefully, be able to bring in a few quid!

Enjoy the 'festering season' and, hopefully we'll be able to have a pub crawl sometime in the New Year!

Paul Bailey said...

Thanks Pete. I think there's very little difference between Tier 3 & Tier 2, as far as the average drinker is concerned, as I don't want a meal (substantial or not), every time I fancy a pint.

However, Tier 2 might bring some much needed relief to the hard-pressed hospitality trade, at what should be their busiest time of the year. It really seems like the whole sector has been hung out to dry, in a way that borders on criminality - or at least it would in a fair and just society.

Like I said in the post, getting angry is pointless as it's not going to change anything, so I'm just keeping my head down and using the time to sort out stuff at home.

Good luck with the outdoor markets, and have a safe and enjoyable Christmas. Fingers crossed we'll be able to resume our "Proper Days Out" in the not too distant future.

retiredmartin said...

Excellent piece, Paul, agree with all that. Sadly those north Kent towns continue to dominate the Covid league and Maidstone and Tonbridge are catching up, so don't expect respite any time soon.
https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1335640854141210629?s=20

A pint with a meal is a VERY poor substitute for a proper pub, so Tier 2 isn't much better.

Anonymous said...

Why do you call the Prime Minister Doris ?
That and other infantile observations in this whinge-piece makes it read like some student union rag.
I imagine if I was really bored and scrolled back to the pieces you were writing in the Spring I'd find you complaining about the government not doing enough to stop the spread of Covid and now you're complaining about them attempting to stop the spread of Covid.
It's pathetic.

Paul Bailey said...

Thanks Martin, you are right about those north Kent towns, and with cases increasing in Maidstone, it does seem to be spreading out towards our area. The longer this drags on , the less likely governments advisors and the “meejah “ (same people?), will be able to pin the blame on the hospitality sector, as with pubs and hotels closed, since early November, other factors must surely be responsible for the continued spread of the virus.

I’m not sure what these factors might be, as mask wearing seems generally well-observed. Supermarkets and many shops have been rather crowded over the past couple of weekends, so this could be a reason for the increase in infections, but who knows.

The bottom line is, I’m not expecting any respite; certainly not this side of Christmas, but as I said to Pete, I’m keeping my head down, as there’s plenty to keep me busy until this crazy situation comes to an end.

ps. For some reason, your comment was published twice, so I deleted the duplicate one. I’ve just invested in a new computer, and have had a spot of trouble applying some of the previous settings, so that might be the reason.

Paul Bailey said...

Thank-you for your "intelligent" contribution, anonymous. I have neither the time nor the inclination to debate with those who hide their identity, especially as I fail to see how my opposition to the government' vendetta against the hospitality sector, is in any way encouraging the spread of Covid.

As for our hapless Prime Minister, columnist Peter Hitchens, describes him as "Mr Bumble;" a very apt description if ever there was one. Changing the first letter of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's second name is one of the kinder names one could choose for someone who, in less than a year, has shown himself inept in every respect and totally lacking in the qualities expected of a person who holds such high office.

Good day to you - please don't bother coming back, unless you've got something constructive to add to the debate!