Sunday 3 November 2019

Under starter's orders


Our short “taster cruise” certainly lived up to our expectations, and the only regret was it was too short. I knew this would be the case, but I didn’t want to big things up too much, especially as Mrs PBT’s had selected and booked this mini-break herself.

So before getting on to the whole cruise experience, I want to make a brief mention of the pub we called in at for lunch, on our drive down to Southampton. As mentioned in the previous article, we booked our mini-break in partnership with Mrs PBT’s sister and her husband, so it made sense for us to travel down to the cruise terminal in one car.

My brother-in-law offered to do the driving; a gesture I was happy to accept. We set off mid-morning, having met up at the in-law’s place at Bexhill. Being a weekday, the traffic was quite heavy, particularly on the A27 as it passes through Worthing. We were therefore glad of the chance to stop for a spot of lunch, at a pub that our host couple knew quite well.

The pub in question was the Old Stables at Fontwell; roughly halfway between Arundel and Chichester. It is situated in the grounds of Fontwell Park Racecourse and is open to the general public. The pub comprises a large open-plan restaurant with a bar where drinkers are welcome. 

Despite its rustic sounding name and old world appearance, there is nothing “old” about this  Mitchells & Butlers-owned, Vintage Inn, as it is a modern building, carefully designed to look old. This deception was good enough to fox me, and regardless of my feelings about fakery, I have to say I found the Old Stables to be a thriving, attractive and well-run pub.

It was fairly quiet when we arrived, but it didn’t take too long before the pub started to fill up. We were offered the choice of either ordering  at the bar, or opting for table service. We went for the latter, so directed to a group of tables at the far end of the building. 

My experienced “drinker’s eye” had already clocked the St Austell Proper Job, sandwiched in between the pumps for Pedigree and Doom Bar, so as I’d been excused driving duties for the duration of the weekend, I went for the Cornish beer. My pint was quite drinkable, although I felt it lacked condition, but I still scored it at 3.0 NBSS. 

We each made a selection from the fixed price lunchtime menu, which offered two coursed for £12.95. I opted for the lobster fishcake, rightly surmising that the chicken & mushroom pie, topped with puff pastry,” would be a stew with a pastry lid. Why call something a pie, when it plainly isn’t? I also made the right call with my dessert choice of  Hot drink and a mini pudding.”

With the cruise offering an extensive choice of different courses, I didn’t want the weekend to begin with too many calories, so a flat white, plus crumble of the day, allowed me to enjoy a coffee, plus just the right portion of dessert.

All in all, a pleasant and welcoming pub, situated at just the right position for a break in our journey. If you are tempted by a longer stay, possibly in conjunction with a day at the races, the Old Stables shares a car park with the next door Travelodge.


5 comments:

RedNev said...

One of these days, I'll go to Worthing; I've been to nearby Brighton quite a few times for union conferences, and it's always been my favourite place for a conference.

There's an Al Stewart song called 'Manuscript' which mentions Worthing and I'd like to go to the seafront with my guitar and sing it. Then go to the pub afterwards, of course.

► I went to a singaround in the Belvedere in Liverpool last week; I'd been to the pub before, but not to the song session there. On this occasion, my first visit, I immediately had a request for 'Manuscript'. I was rather surprised because it's a song from 1970, quite a few years before Al had a hit single with 'Year of the Cat'.

retiredmartin said...

Glad you both enjoyed it.

I stayed at that Fontwell Travelodge. Family room for £19.Fewer bargains these days. Think you made good choices.

Paul Bailey said...

Hi Nev. I don't think I've ever been to Worthing seafront, but I'm certainly familiar with Al Stewart's "Manuscript" song. It "rained and rained" on the day Al and Mandi decided to drive there, so perhaps that put me off!!

With the references to the Czar, and the Archduke (Franz Ferdinand) being shot in Bosnia, it must be one of Al's first "historical" songs, and a very poignant one at that.

We might give Travelodge a try next time Martin, following another disappointing Premier Inn experience. This time it was their Southampton West hotel which was at fault.

The heating wasn't working, there was no plug in bathroom sink and the room was dated and very drab. We drove over to the nearby Morrison's for breakfast, and was glad we did; especially after reading reviews of the adjoining Vine Inn (Hungry Horse).

Our traveling companions weren't impressed either.

retiredmartin said...

The normal complaint about Premier Inn is they're too hot and you can't open windows.

My problem with them is purely cost, rarely less thsn £80 around the country.

norhan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.