It's been quite a hectic week at least by my standards,
whatever they're measured against these days, where I accomplished quite a lot
both on the home front, and the work front. It seems that the never-ending
heat
wave is exactly what it says,
“Never ending,” and last
Sunday weather wise was
pretty much the same as it is today another,
Sunday, and one where the sun is beating down making the heat it's just too intense to do much in the way of outdoor
activities. Furthermore, with a lawn that consists of nothing but scorched
grass, there is precious little to do on that score, anyway.
The previous
Sunday, I had to drive over to
Tunbridge Wells's North Farm
estate, which although originally an industrial area, is now much more of a
trading estate. I picked up a pair of new shorts from
George at
Asda, before
driving along to
Screwfix, a store Where I am spending more time that I would
wish. I purchased the drill bit I needed for the fencing repairs I’ve been
working on, but after finishing my shopping, I decided that a pint was in order
– it was a sweltering day, after all!
I took the long way home and made a detour out into the parched looking,
Kent
countryside, heading out along the invariably busy
A21, before turning off
towards
Matfield. This attractive village has one of the largest village greens
I know of in
Kent, as well as being one of the most attractive as well.
I was
aiming for the
Star, at the far end of the green, but on the way, I passed the
sadly closed
Wheelwrights Arms, an establishment that hasn’t traded for many a
long year. Once a particularly good free house, the
Wheelwrights seemed
to go downhill once
Shepherd Neame took control of the place. I’d have to look
back to check when exactly it closed, but this former excellent free house is
sadly no more, and even the exterior has been altered out of all recognition.
The
Wheelwrights is now a private residence, having pulled its last pints, a
decade or more ago.
Fortunately, the same fate hasn’t befallen the
Star, a
large, and attractive red-brick property at the other end of the green. I made
an abortive visit earlier in the year, when I was unable to find space in the
car park, but there were no such problems this time around. With several empty
spaces, I was beginning to wonder whether the heat had kept people indoors. If
it had their loss was my gain, and after strolling into the pub I was greeted
by a handful of people occupying sections of all three rooms, including the
designated dining area. I ordered myself a pint of
Harvey’s Best, (
Tonbridge plus an
offering from
Gun Brewery, were the other beers available), before making my way
outside, to the small and secluded courtyard garden, at the side of the pub.
Despite its proximity to the main road, this was a quiet and peaceful area,
with sunshine and shade available in equal quantities. In other words, it was
the perfect space to sit in and enjoy a pint.
In spite of the high temperatures, the Sussex Best was in
good form, and the packet of Piper’s crisps, the perfect accompaniment. I sat there for around 20 minutes, enjoying
my pint, whilst indulging in a spot of people watching, before picking up my
empty glass and returning it, like a good boy, to the girl behind the bar. I returned
to the car, and drove back to sunny Tunny (Tonbridge), after turning off the B2160 at
the bottom of Gedges’ Hill, opposite Mascall’s school.
I almost forgot to mention that on my way out of Matfield, I
drove past the Poet, which is the village’s other pub. Older readers will
probably remember the pub by its original name of Standings Cross. I didn't go
in this time, although I've visited the pub on a number of previous occasions. It’s
pleasant enough, despite bordering on being more of a gastro establishment,
than an actual pub. At least it remains open, and probably doing OK, judging by
the number of cars parked outside, as I drove by.
There were more adventures to come over the following weekend,
when I took the train down to the West Country, in order to visit the town of
Frome. You can read all about that trip, next time, along with details of the “interesting”
journey I had, in order to get there.
1 comment:
Glad you got back from Frome, Paul. It was an exhausting day for a number of us, it's easy to forget what a toll the heat takes.
Post a Comment