Sunday 26 January 2020

Drunk in charge


It’s a  brave, or perhaps foolish, man or woman who writes a post about the vexed subject of children in pubs. Pub Curmudgeon wrote such a piece just the other day, and I believe it is one of several articles he’s produced over the years about the joys, or otherwise of kids running amok whilst he’s trying to enjoy a drink.

I too got myself into hot water after writing a post about badly behaved children causing havoc in an award-winning, working man’s club; even though I was quite rightly apportioning blame to the parents/guardians who were supposed to be looking after them. I also questioned the non-intervention of the club staff, receiving perhaps the most criticism for not having raised the matter myself, with the club’s officials.

What happens though when the boot is on the other foot, and it is the adults who find themselves in the dock, for being “drunk in charge of a child?” Believe it or not, there is such an offence, as according to a licensing act from 1902, it is illegal to be drunk while in charge of a child under the age of seven. Anyone found in contravention of the rules can face a fine – or even a month behind bars.

Enter everyone’s favourite bargain-priced pub-chain, JD Wetherspoon, where one of their outlets has put its own spin on this 118 year old piece of legislation, by limiting  parents from buying more than two alcoholic drinks if they have children with them.  

The pub in question is the Robert Pocock in Gravesend, Kent, which brought in the two-drink limit because parents were letting their children run around uncontrolled. A poster at the pub said they were “Protecting children from harm,” and added, ‘Therefore adults in charge of children will be allowed to have one alcoholic drink and a further alcoholic drink with a sit down meal.”

All very draconian you might think, and the poster provoked the predictable cries of “outraged” parents, but apparently it’s nationwide policy for Wetherspoon’s, which individual managers can choose to enforce. The policy has been in place for some time, but has not been followed rigorously in the past.

The poster which sparked the controversy, has since been taken down, but the limit still remains in place. A representative for the Robert Pocock stated that, “After the limit has been reached, staff have the legal right to refuse service of alcohol."

A JD Wetherspoon spokesman said: "The manager took the decision to put the poster in the pub to emphasise to customers that she would not allow parents to drink while their children were running round uncontrolled in the pub. The notice had a positive effect, with mostly good feedback."

Now I’m not going to get mired in this particular controversy, particularly as my views on Brexit-fixated Tim Martin, are well known. I have once set foot inside the Robert Pocock,  and whilst I would describe it as not one of JDW’s “better outlets,” my sole visit was over 10 years ago, and the pub may well have improved since then.

The only thing I will say is let he, or she, who is without sin, cast the first stone. Mrs PBT’s and I once nearly left son Matthew in the back of a taxi, as we more or less fell out of the vehicle, after returning from a “good lunch” with friends.

Our poor deprived son was also nearly sat on once, whilst he slept in his pushchair, at a party held in an outdoor barn. Yes it was dark, drink had again been taken, and fortunately no harm was done, but didn’t former Prime Minister David (call me “Dave”) Cameron, also once leave his daughter behind at the pub, following a Sunday lunchtime drink?  

We’re only human after all, as the Rag’n’Bone Man sang; even the man whose over-inflated ego proved to be far greater than his intellect - to the detriment of us all!

8 comments:

Ian Worden said...

It's been policy for some time and I've seen it enforced a my local Wetherspoons in Leytonstone. However, in a large pub with a beer garden and separate glass collecting staff it must be very hard to operate.

Curmudgeon said...

Back in 2008, a couple were prosecuted for child neglect for taking their baby on a seven-hour pub crawl.

John Lamb said...

This seems to be a very sensible policy small children running around in an uncontrolled manner in a pub could be injured if they collide with tables or knock over glass wear and no doubt the pub operator will be sued by litigious parents should an injury occur.

Paul Bailey said...

I do agree John, and whilst I made light of the subject towards the end of my post Wetherspoon's, like other pub operators, have a duty of care.

If someone's faculties and sense of judgment are impaired, from over indulgence of alcohol, they are less likely to take proper care of children in their charge. It can't be nice for the children either, seeing one or both parents staggering about, slurring their speech or generally making fools of themselves.

So full marks to Wetherspoon's but, as Ian pointed out earlier, it must be difficult to operate and police such a policy.

Etu said...

I'll say again what I've said many times - although it excludes 'Spoons.

If a pub doesn't have strict rules regarding the conduct of dogs, then how can they expect parents to feel obliged to impose more restrictions upon their small humans, than the pub evidently expects owners of dogs to impose upon their animals?

Incidentally Paul, owing to this irksome problem loading your home page on my laptop, after the wait I now have a bulk read of your posts every so often.

I'm able to catch up, but the comments have usually dried up by then. I haven't deserted your fine pages though!

I need a different browser, I think.

Paul Bailey said...

Good to hear from you, Etu. Sorry to learn you’re still having trouble loading my homepage. Unfortunately I’m not much of a tech-wizard, so don’t really know what to suggest.

I quite often experience difficulties when attempting to comment on Wordpress blogs, and there are some sites where my carefully crafted comments/observations, just vanish into the ether, never to be seen again.

Fortunately, Retired Martin’s blog isn’t one of those I have trouble with.

ps. The subject of dogs in pubs is a whole different ball-game, especially as it can spill over into the vexed area of hygiene.

Etu said...

No worries Paul, I have this problem with many pages, especially Google search results - have tried all the online showoff advice but to no avail.

Yes, there are indeed separate matters arising from dogs in pubs, but the "tolerance floor", for beings of all sorts which are not adult humans, is set by what dogs are allowed to do. So if you want well-behaved kids then you must restrict dogs at least to the same degree.

It's a simple point but often missed.

Keep 'em coming anyway!

retiredmartin said...

I don't know if I'm unobservant or lucky, but I rarely see the sort of negligent parenting folk complain of.

But if I'd had to guess where I might see it, that Spoons in Gravesend would have been high on my list 😉