Sunday 1 September 2019

Curry night at the Nelson


I realise Tonbridge’s Nelson Arms has featured quite regularly on this blog, but that’s because it’s a good pub and a success story as well. It’s another example of a pub coming back from the dead, after being written off by the owning brewery or pub company, but once in the right hands, it’s thriving.

I found myself  back in the Nelson last Thursday evening, as my local CAMRA branch was making a presentation to the landlord. But there was also another, more compelling reason to tempt me in, and that was Thursday night “Curry Night,” and I wanted to give one of the pub’s famous curries a try.

Now it might seem a little strange for a back-street local to be serving food in the evenings, but the Nelson is just that bit further away from the town centre, to make it not quite in the thick of it when it comes to pub crawls and circuit drinking.

So in order to drum up additional trade, the pub offers hot meals from 4pm onwards, mid-week and from midday through to mid-evening time, at weekends. As well as a selection of curries on Thursdays, Tuesday is “Pie Night;” and they’re proper pies at that, if you know what I mean.  The Nelson has also made quite a name for itself with its Sunday lunchtime, roast dinners.

Knowing that the CAMRA presentation would take place at 9pm, I arrived at the pub at around 7.30pm.  This would allow ample time for a meal, plus a few beers before the start of the official business.

A friend joined me for dinner, which allowed us both to take advantage of the two curries for £15 offer, (normal price £10 each). We both opted for the Keema Lamb Mince, which came with Pilau rice, plus a couple of large poppadums each. The lamb was nicely spiced without being over-powering, so in view of this, I’m tempted to give some of the pub’s other curries a try – see photo opposite for details.

As usual, there was an interesting range of beers on sale, with offerings from Gun Brewery, Goacher’s, Kent Brewery, Titsey Brewing and Young’s. I started with Goacher’s Real Mild  3.0 NBSS, before moving on to Scaramanga Extra Pale from Gun Brewery and then Elysium New England IPA from Kent Brewery. I scored both the last two beers at 3.5 NBSS.

There was a good turnout, with around a dozen local CAMRA members coming along to show their support. The presentation was for Runner-up Cider Pub of the Year. 

Biddenden, Chiddingstone and Double Vision are amongst the ciders stocked by the Nelson, and whilst I’m obviously pleased for the pub and devotees of fermented apple juice, I have to confess my interest in cider is pretty minimal.

I suppose I should be pleased that the aforementioned ciders are traditional in nature and from local producers, but my view is that CAMRA should stick to promoting beer, and leave cider drinkers to start their own organisation. We’ve been through this before, and it’s not going to happen, but I wanted to say it all the same.

So overall, it was a very good evening, with the chance to catch up with some old friends and acquaintances, as well as enjoying some good beer and equally good, Asian-inspired cooking. The only downside was an early start the following morning, but at least it was Friday!

4 comments:

retiredmartin said...

I may be having to make a trip to the Nelson very soon, Paul!

Paul Bailey said...

You won't be disappointed if you do, Martin. Without breaking any embargo, I expect you know more about the 2020 Guide entries than I do, but put it this way, the Nelson is definitely worthy of a place in the GBG.

I bumped into a CAMRA friend in Fuggles yesterday, who told me that Matt the landlord was bowled over by the turnout of local CAMRA members that evening, which demonstrates he is certainly doing something right.

Let me know when you're planning to visit and, as long as it's not next week, I'll join you for a beer or two.

retiredmartin said...

Probably later this month when I've got travel plans sorted.

dercy lyne said...

My name is Darci Lyne. This is a very happy day of my life thanks to the help that Dr. .nosakhare has given me to help me recover my ex-husband with his spell of love and magic. I was married for 6 years and it was so terrible because my husband was really cheating and looking for a divorce, but when I came across Dr..nosakhare email on the internet about how he has helped so many people get their ex back and help fix the relationship and make people happy in their relationship. I explained my situation and then I sought his help, but to my greatest surprise, he told me that he would help me with my case and that I am now celebrating because my husband has totally changed for the better. He always wants to be by my side and can not do anything without my present. I am really enjoying my marriage, what a great celebration. I will continue to testify on the Internet because Dr..nosakhare is a true spell caster. NEED HELP? CONTACT
-Email- blackmagicsolutions95@gmail.com
you can also add him on Whats-app: +2349083639501
He is the only answer to your problem and makes you feel happy in your relationship. And it is also perfect in your relationship.
you want your ex back?
want a love spell for a new lover?
Childless problem solution?
Financial problem solution?
Weak Erection & Quick Ejaculation?
solution to sickness and diseases of the body
All type of problem solution by astrology?
Divorce problem solution?