Sunday 6 January 2019

Canned Job


Well I’m a little behind with my posting, as I’m still working on my “Year in Beer” review of 2018, so for something to be going on with, here’s a very short post about a bargain I picked up at Tesco over the Christmas-New Year break.

You may recall me saying that St Austell Proper Job was one of my “go to” beers over the Christmas period, so whilst picking up a few festive goodies from Tesco – not a store we normally use, (simply because the nearest large outlet is at Sevenoaks), I also noticed these bad boys.

Yes, you are seeing correctly, Proper Job is now available in nicely-presented, 330ml cans. Unlike the bottles, the canned version is not naturally conditioned, but that doesn’t detract from the taste at all.

These six-packs normally retail at £7, but over the festive season, Tesco were knocking them out for just £5 a pack. Needless to say, I stocked up, especially as they’re so handy to slip in the fridge, but sadly I’m down to my last pack now.

I haven’t been back to check, but I would imagine that the £2 off promotion has come to an end. It was good whilst it lasted, but this sort of presentation must be something of a first for a premium ale brand.

5 comments:

Etu said...

We've spent a lot of time in Cornwall over the years, and our latest visit was spending Christmas at Charlestown, St. Austell.

My favourite pint from the local brewery is Trelawny, bang on the nose at 3.8%. The Oystercatcher at Polzeath always kept that well (that's the pub where David Cameron was snapped with his holiday pint for the press, incidentally.)

We seemed to see less Doom Bar out and about than we did at home, interestingly.

But for me, St. Austell is what puts Cornwall firmly on the beer map.

Curmudgeon said...

No bad thing it's not can-conditioned - that is a ridiculous concept.

RedNev said...

I drink Proper Job when it's on draught in my local; I haven't had it in any other format. I lived in Bodmin in 1979-1980, and St Austell was the main local brewery (12 miles away) with the best beer in the area.

Paul Bailey said...

Etu and Nev, I first came across St Austell Ales whilst staying in the town, as a sixth former, on a geology field trip. My classmates and I weren’t old enough to drink, but that didn’t stop us, although most of us gravitated to the local trendy Watney’s pub.

A couple of fellow students had other ideas though, and had sussed out a suitable St Austell pub, which they took me to, one evening. I can’t remember what the beer was like, but I sank several pints of it. It was possibly this experience which first sparked my interest in local beers.

Mudge, I tend to agree that can-conditioning is nonsensical – unless you like cloudy beer, that is!

Barm said...

Natural conditioning doesn't have to mean a half-inch-thick layer of sludge in the bottom of the container. Sierra Nevada have shown that it's possible to condition in the can and bottle with only a minimal amount of sediment, so little that you wouldn't know unless you knew, if you see what I mean.