Tuesday 18 September 2018

Wadhurst to Tunbridge Wells on foot


On Sunday I took the opportunity to don my walking boots and head off into the clear blue yonder, for a walk in the beautiful Kent and Sussex countryside. I joined up with four friends who all live locally and three of whom are members of my local CAMRA branch.

The plan was to take the train from Tonbridge and alight four stops down the line, at Wadhurst. From there we would take a scenic walk back to Tunbridge Wells, along a number of rural footpaths, stopping off at a couple of pubs on the way.

This was the first ramble I’ve been on for some time, although to my credit I did a fair amount of walking whilst I was in the United States. During my six day stay at my sister’s, I accompanied my brother in law, on a three and a half mile walk every morning. There is a “country park” close to where they live, so every morning, after breakfast, the pair of us would head off to this attractive, wooded recreation area to do a circuit.

I was pleased to have kept this regime up for the duration of my stay, and whilst I have continued with my daily lunchtime walk (weekdays, at least), a mile and a quarter is substantially less than what I was doing in the US. It was good therefore to have the opportunity to be heading out on this ramble.

We caught the 11:10 train from Tonbridge and 20 minutes later were alighting at Wadhurst station, deep in the Sussex countryside. Our initial route took us through woodland, before opening out into some undulating countryside. This was home to several herds of cattle and the odd flock of sheep, but apart from the odd isolated settlement, we encountered very few humans along the way.

One and a half hours, and three and a half miles later, we walked into the hamlet of Bells Yew Green, home to Brecknock Arms. This small Harvey’s pub has long been a favourite amongst local branch members but has changed hands recently, following the departure of Sally and David Fawcett, who had ran the pub for the past four years.

We arrived just after 1pm, to find the pub very quiet, apart from a couple of families who seemed intent on allowing their children to run around inside. We escaped to the garden, where we sat out enjoying our beer in the mid-September sunshine.

Despite the lack of customers, the beer was on top form and I scored my pint of Sussex Best at 4.0 NBSS. According to my friends, the Hadlow IPA was also very good. Given the Brecknock’s  former reputation for good food, we were surprised not to see anyone eating there, which led us to wonder whether or not the pub has a chef at present.

We only stayed for the one pint, as there was still a fair amount of ground to cover between Bells Yew Green and  Tunbridge Wells.  Our route took us along the road at the side of the pub, towards the village of Frant; a distance of one and a half miles.

On the way, we passed the former brewery of George Ware & Son which is now divided up into a number of light industrial units, but still very much retains the appearance of a traditional, Victorian tower brewery. The brewery closed in 1950, following the acquisition of the company and its 16 pubs, by E & H Kelsey of Tunbridge Wells.

Frant is quite a large village with a substantial village green, which faces onto the main A267 Tunbridge Wells to Eastbourne road. Fronting onto the road and just to north of the
village centre, is the Abergavenny Arms Hotel. This 15th Century, former coaching inn, is an attractive, part tile-hung building with a large and well-appointed bar which serves two large beamed rooms.

Both are primarily given over to dining, but one has an area for drinkers, with comfortable sofas and an open fire. There is also a smaller dining room that can be used for functions. At the front of the pub, there is an outside patio- type garden for use in warmer weather, and this is where we made ourselves comfortable.

Somewhat ironically, my wife and I had driven past the Abergavenny the previous weekend, on our way to Eastbourne. I remarked at time that it had been an age since I had last set foot inside the pub, and there I was, just a week later, enjoying a drink there. I have to say that despite the emphasis on food, I was impressed with this lovely old pub. The food looked and smelt good, and was being enjoyed by plenty of appreciative diners; unlike at the Brecknock, just down the road.

The beer was good too, with Long Man Blonde and Dark Star Hophead joining the ubiquitous Harvey’s Best. I went for the Long Man Blonde, awarding it a 3.5 NBSS. Two members of our party opted for the Hophead, and thought they detected a slight alteration in the taste of the beer, now that Fullers are brewing it. Some might argue this could have been pure imagination, but as seasoned Hophead aficionados, I am pretty certain my friends were correct in their judgement.

Again, we just stayed for the one pint, before leaving to walk back to Tunbridge  Wells. We skirted the village green, passing Frant’s other pub, the George, just before the  church. I don’t think I have been in this pub before, but from the this attractive white-painted building, looked quite busy from the outside. What surprised me the most was just how large a village Frant is, as I have only ever seen it from the main road.

After passing through the churchyard, we descended through an area of dense woodland, before slowly making our way into rear of Tunbridge Wells. It was a further  three and half miles on top of what already walked, and my knees were starting to play up. The left one especially was giving me some gip, particularly whilst going downhill.

Once we reached Tunbridge Wells the plan was to visit a couple of the pubs which were participating in the town’s Beer Weekend – see earlier post. There was the possibility that the strong, 6.0% ABV beer called “Big Bad Trad,” specially brewed by Larkin’s for the Beer Weekend, might still be available.

However, despite the promise of this intriguing beer, I decided not to join my friends in walking up to Sankey’s, especially as it would have meant a further walk downhill to the station, for the train home. In addition, I knew that son Matthew would be knocking off work fairly soon, and if I timed things right, he could give me a lift home from Tonbridge station.

I therefore said farewell to my friends and thanked them for their company. There was  20 minutes to spare before my train, so I popped into the Bedford, opposite the station where I had a swift half  of Gadds Seasider. Matthew was waiting to pick me up outside Tonbridge station which, given my sore knee and aching limbs, was most welcome.

The walk from Wadhurst station to Tunbridge Wells, was just under eight and a half miles, with the ground underfoot, very hard. I was sufficiently recovered after a nice roast pork dinner, to bash out the majority of this post, and also get things ready for work the following morning.

The scenery and the company were both excellent, and I was also very impressed with the Abergavenny Arms. The only downside was finding the Brecknock so quiet. Until the Fawcett’s came on the scene four years ago, the pub had been struggling, and with them now gone there is now concern for the pub’s future. I don’t want to end this post on a downer, so I will keep my fingers crossed that the new licensees make a go of the place. I wish them well, especially as the previous tenants will be a hard act to follow, and trust that Harvey’s will give them all the support they may need.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great walking country and some good quality beers. Glad to see you keeping so active, Paul.
Frant is surprisingly big and sprawling, isn't it ?


You mentioned the lack of diners. Along with the death of lunchtime drinking, I'm noticing that as well. There seems to be a market for the upmarket "destination" pub and the bargain diner (Marston/Greene King/Chef & Brewer 2-for-1 type places), but the average pub offering pie or fish & chips for a tenner seems to be very quiet.


NB Did I miss a post on Eastbourne or were you just passing through.


Martin

Etu said...

Sadly, Martin, lunchtime drinking has been hit by the Americanisation of many employment contracts. These are strictly no alcohol during work hours.

My last workplace quite had a jolly ale culture, but new owners put a stop to that, and to most other upsides of the job. It had previously been thriving, but went into liquidation not long after. I doubt that anything will be learnt from that though.

Mrs. E sends her sympathies on your knees, Paul. Our last yomp was up Pen-Y-Fan, a while back now. She was OK going up, but coming down was more problematic as you say.

Cheers,

E

Paul Bailey said...

It certainly was fine walking country Martin, and some good beers and a couple of unspoilt pubs to boot.

I think you're right on the dining front, and it's a pity to see mid-range, traditional pubs being squeezed out of the market in this way.

You didn't miss the Eastbourne post, as it's still in draft form on my laptop. It may surface in the next week or so!

Etu, I'm fortunate to work for a company which doesn't frown on the occasional lunchtime drink. I'm one of just a handful of employees who take advantage of this policy, and even then it's only a couple of times a month that I call in at our local pub.

Whilst I accept that there are companies who take the type of draconian approach you refer to, I think the dramatic fall-off in lunchtime drinking is more of a cultural shift then anything else.

After a couple of days rest, my knees are now ok, but thank Mrs E for her concern. Eight miles seems to be my current limit, which isn't too bad. Coming down is definitely worse than going up though.

Russtovich said...

"stopping off at a couple of pubs on the way."

Best kind of walk. :)

"One and a half hours, and three and a half miles later,"

Not a bad pace.

"and there I was, just a week later, enjoying a drink there."

A bit of serendipity. :)

"I am pretty certain my friends were correct in their judgement."

A bit like how I think Guinness has changed a bit. ;)

"given my sore knee and aching limbs, was most welcome."

Have to be careful with knees at our age. My brother is going in for surgery on his meniscus next month; and my mother's neighbour has been told he's going to require surgery very soon.

Mind you, I'm not saying don't walk; just don't overdo it.

"and with them now gone there is now concern for the pub’s future"

Hopefully it's something along the lines of needing a chef as you mentioned.

Cheers

PS - "the majority of this post an also get things "

Like Martin I think your 'an' needs a 'd'. :)


And finally:

"following the acquisition of the company and its 16 pubs, by E & H Kelsey of Tunbridge Wells."

My order of "The Death of the English Pub" finally arrived in the post. It certainly paints a bleak picture of the 70's; what with acquisitions, turfing out tenants and not even knowing the ABV of the beer you were drinking! Crickey!

Paul Bailey said...

Russ, I do try to be careful with my knees, and I've reached the conclusion that eight miles is around the time they stiffen up and start to ache. I had a similar issue with them last summer, whilst walking the stretch of the North Downs Way between Shepherdswell and Dover.

I don't experience pain, but they are certainly uncomfortable, and I take that as a warning sign to stop and rest (preferably in a pub!). People should definitely listen to their body and what it is trying to tell them, and those who advocate "working through the pain" have simply got it wrong, and may even end up crippled in later life.
s
"The Death of the English Pub" is a great book, which still holds relevance today. If anything, it reminds us of just how bad things were back in the 1970's. There's a crowd of people trying to take us back to those times, including our present government; but we won't go into that!